Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 11:27 PM
Default Strange noise

Hello and thanks for reading this post. Two problems.

1. When turning the vehicle, there is a noise coming from the front of the car. It sounds like two pipes hitting each other real fast.
2. When the car hits a bump, there is a squeaking noise.

Thought it might be the axle, but the shop says it's fine. I might need to get a second opinion. As for the squeaking noise, I am thinking it might be bad struts?.

Any ideas? Thanks for the help.

Old 08-11-2006, 11:35 PM
Default RE: Strange noise

well the second problem could be just needing new struts or something in the suspension. as for the first problem, i would have said the axel too but you have already crossed that out. so yea check the suspension and go from there.....good luck

Old 08-12-2006, 01:36 AM

Have you checked for Rhemus Monkeys. They are notorious for causing noise.

Old 08-12-2006, 07:36 AM

For question 1:

It COULD be your outboard CV joints.
Take a look under your car and look for those rubber boots on your axle. Your outboard one is the unit closest to the wheel. (Inboard is the one near the transaxle, btw.) Take a good look at that boot. If it's cracked, damaged, leaking, missing clamps etc, that means that some dirt has gotten in there and has damaged the joint, resulting in the noise during turns.
You're noticing it during turns because during a turn, the outer wheel has to travel faster and further than the inner wheel and, if there's damage, you'll hear it as the parts speed up.

The problem with suspension noise is that it literally could be anything.

A question for you:

When you make, say, a left hand turn. Does this noise occur on the left hand side of the car or the right hand side? If it's on the right hand side, then I'll bet on a CV joint. But if it's on the left, it could be a suspension component.

Old 08-12-2006, 11:22 AM

Hello,

When I make a left hand turn, it does sound like the noise is coming from the right side. I will definetly have that checked. Thank you all for the help. I appreciate it. I will keep you updated as to what the problem was. Thanks.