Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Strange noise ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 08:47 AM
HCF Member
Default Strange noise ?

okay so this is a new one, when i start driving forward after i have been parked for a little while i notice a strange dull grind (almost like rubber rubbing on something). Now it only happens when i have turned the car off and then in the first 15 - 20 feet of driving and never happens again. It doesnt to it in reverse and it doesn't do it when i just put it in park and then D. only when i first turn the car on and drive.

I am thinking it may be some brake pad issue or maybe a joint of some sort that after it gets warmed up doesn't make the noise. The dull sound lasts about .5 - .75 seconds (okay, maybe a whole second )

any suggestions before i take it in sometime next week ?

thanks

Old 11-29-2007, 09:11 AM
Default RE: Strange noise ?

Check CV Axle Boots for wear/twisting? (Rubber sounding noise?) -- Also maybe pads are sticking from a glaze? (rotors conaminated somehow with grease?) Automatic tranny problem (torque converter)? sticking? ---- Balljoints wearing down around weelhub/cvaxle aseembly? My dad experienced "popping" when using the brakes when the balljoints were going bad though... Just some ideas on the top of my head from your ever so elaborate explaination

Old 11-29-2007, 09:15 AM

Maybe a fluid buildup in the brake system orvaccumin relation to air bubbles that could sound like a dullrubber noise when under vaccum or pressure?

Old 11-29-2007, 10:12 AM
HCF Member

okay well i got scared about the tranny suggestion so over lunch i decided to get a couple of guys from the office (quite a sight) and push the car while in neutral and it still makes the noise. would that pretty much eliminate the probability of it being the tranny ? also it may be the brake fluid or pads since they are due for a change soon.