Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Strong Fuel Smell and Self-Revving....?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 03:23 PM
HCF Member
Unhappy Strong Fuel Smell and Self-Revving....?

Got a '92 Civic LX with 310,000 Miles, All Stock except the CAI, and Exhaust Manifold(4-2-1).

There is a STRONG fuel smell in my Civic, BUT it ONLY happens when I have the windows open. I could have the windows closed all day and nothing.
I have checked under the hood TWICE wiping my finger all along the fuel lines, the fuel filter, along the fuel railing, and finally around the fuel injectors..and NO GAS SMELL at all.
The fumes can't be coming from the back, or else I would smell it when the windows are up.

Also after driving a while(car warmed-up), and then stopping and putting it in PARK, I notice my Civic revs up and down by itself like there's a vacuum leak...But I'm wondering if that has something to do with the strong fuel smell, like maybe a component isn't getting all the fuel it should, or there's an issue with fuel smell leaking into a part that only needs air.

The smell is is worst in the summer...I get headaches just driving home..Any help will do. Thank You!

P.S: If it's coming from under the car, trying to figure out how would it get blown IN the car and not just blown away into the wind behind me. :-|