Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Stupidest mistake in existence....

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 11:25 AM
HCF Member
Default Stupidest mistake in existence....

Last night I was painting my valve cover, ran a bit short on time and needed to leave... so I put the valve cover back on fairly quickly, drove up to Monument, drove back down to Colo Springs later that night ('bout 55 miles roundtrip), pulled into my garage, turned off the engine, then the engine started smoking. Popped the hood, noticed it was coming from everywhere behind the valve cover. I don't know how it wasn't smoking before I stopped.... Truly a wtf moment. Then I noticed the back part of the valve cover gasket wasn't on correctly. Bah.

Now my engine bay is thoroughly coated in oil. Luckily there was still some oil in the engine, so it wasn't running without oil completely. Fairly certain no damage was caused, it still runs fine, but any suggestions as to how the get the oil out? I sat there with paper towels for about an hour getting all I could up, but it still drips a little bit. Can I just let it drip itself out? I don't have any money for a degreaser, and I know its not really going to come out if I spray it with water....

Old 10-20-2007, 01:37 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Stupidest mistake in existence....

Engine cleaner, lots of it, and then PRESSURE WASHER

Then let it dry.

Old 10-20-2007, 02:55 PM
HCF Member

Good thinking foress_89.... I would of done the same

Old 10-20-2007, 03:51 PM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Shbek

I don't have any money for a degreaser
Simple Green, it's like 4 bucks for a spray bottle. If you don't have 4 bucks, then I don't know how you buy gas for your car.

Old 10-20-2007, 08:26 PM
HCF Member

All the money I get is pretty much all going toward gas this week.... Yes, a pitiful $20. I'm trying to save up so I can move out in a couple months andI got slammed with bills last week. Where can I get Simple Green?

Old 10-20-2007, 09:02 PM
mxs
HCF Member

Grocery store, auto parts store, Wal-Mart maybe?

Old 10-20-2007, 09:05 PM

best to start scrubbing that stuff of as soon as u can. it'll only be harder to get off with time.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:22 PM

heres your cheapest solution. if u have sand or kitty litter laying around the house put it all around.. or old chlothes.. or old towels, paper towls..

cleaning is a bit difficult , but letting it soak and absorb is a bit easier

Old 10-21-2007, 10:32 AM
HCF Member

Pretty much what I'm going to be forced to do. I got what I could off with paper towels the night it happened, I got oil all over the floor so I have kitty litter on it. Its below freezing and snowing now, so hosing it off really isn't an option. Bah. I hate the weather in Colorado....

That said, it only dripped twice last night, two little spots in the kitty litter. Its definitely getting better, though it smells like crap after the engine warms up.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:14 AM
HCF Member

A detailing place will steam clean it for a decent price also.

Quick Reply: Stupidest mistake in existence....