Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

sunshade for moonroof

Old 07-16-2008, 04:53 PM
HCF Member
Default sunshade for moonroof

hey has anybody ever taken out a sunshade for a moonroof

I have a stock 1996 honda civic ex sedan and need to get the sunshade reupholstered or replaced.

Is it hard taking it out?

Is it matter of just taking down the front part of the headliner and sliding it out?

or do I have to mess with the sunroof and take it out from the top

it is hard telling just looking up in there how it works exactly.

this is a stock moonroof that came from the factory with the car.

thanks in advance

Old 07-16-2008, 06:43 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: sunshade for moonroof

go to the link in my signature and download the service manual for the 96-98. all the details are there.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:06 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mundy5

go to the link in my signature and download the service manual for the 96-98. all the details are there.

thank you very much - greatly appreciated!!

Old 07-16-2008, 07:35 PM
HCF Member

thanks for you help

now for my next question.

what the heck is a moon roof wrench and where do I get one or do I actually need it?

can i use something else in its place?

this looks like I could do it but the only show stopper for me is the moon roof wrench.

thanks for you help.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:56 AM
HCF Member

Look in your trunk with the spare. The moonroof wrench is in the bag that has the lugwrench. I think it is for closing the sun/moonroof when the motor quits working.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:35 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: TheJGB3

Look in your trunk with the spare. The moonroof wrench is in the bag that has the lugwrench. I think it is for closing the sun/moonroof when the motor quits working.

sweet thank you very much!!

Old 07-17-2008, 07:21 PM
HCF Member

I would like to thank everyone who helped me with this

I got the sunshade out tonight and everything went pretty smooth

on thing though is I had the rail holder cover and rail holder broken on the drivers side then to top it off I broke the thread for the rail holder nut.

any suggestions on how to fix the thread I can get the new rail holder not sure what to do with the thread though

I have the sunshade out and the sun roof back and working there was enough thread to put the nut back on but not the railholder

thanks again for you help and any suggestions on what to do with the broken thread so I get the railholder back would be appreciated.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:20 AM
HCF Member

does anybody know how to get the bolt for railhoder b on the driver's side out?

don't remember looking at it but do I have to pry the headliner down to get it out?

I ordered a new railholder b, nut, bolt, and cover but I was wondering if anybody knows how to get the bolt out.

if it just sits there it should be a piece of cake but was wondering if it goes through the sunroof tray and you have to move the headliner down to remove it.

it is hard to tell from looking at the shop manual.

thanks for you help everyone too.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:12 PM
HCF Member

could somebody advise me on what to do.

I am ready to put this sunroof back together (sunshade re-upholstered) but have been struggling with the stud that broke off on rail holder b there is enough of it sticking out where I can get a nut around it but

my first question is does anybody know what rail holder b exactly does in the operation of the sunroof?
my first guess it would hold the sunroof when it is in the tilt position - does anybody know for sure. I can't really see anything on it and when the sunroof is in tilt I can't look in there because the glass is covering it.

also I am having a devil of a time trying to drill through the remaining stud to create a hole in the sunroof tray so I can get a bolt in there - If i can do that I would be good to go but what is the metal is it good old steel? I have bought some cobalt drill bits and I am going to give them a try

one note the busted stud is tac welded into the sunroof tray - dealer said I should able to drill right through and put a bolt there.

any suggestions and or guidance would be appreciated
thanks in advance.

Last edited by jsusanka; 08-04-2008 at 06:20 PM.