Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Tech Book Lists. Good Reads

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 06:06 AM
HCF Member
Default Tech Book Lists. Good Reads

I wasn't sureexatly where this should go but I've been doing a lot of reading lately. Heres a list of books I have read, are reading or plan on reading. In my opinion this is a great way to start off if you plan on getting into heavy car modification. Even if some of the theorys explained are a little blurry, once you get out under the hood you will understand them a lot better then just trying learn your way through a project. But here we go:

1. Honda/Acura Engine Performance Mike Kojima- This was the book I started on it's a great read for anyone whether you are just starting out or have been in the game for years. It starts out with an explanation of basicengine theory that can be applied to any motor and not just acuras and hondas. They have a section where they go over project cars and their setups and even go over the setups of some professional honda drag racers.

2. How To Tune and Modify Engine Management Systems Jeff Hartman- Very Detailed book and really long about 250 pages of absolutely tiny text. This is for the more hardcore enthusiast or someone who is looking to make a job related to engine modification. I haven't finished this book yet but by the end I believe I'll know every in and out of the complete electrical system of a car.

3. Street Turbocharging: Design, Fabrication, Installation, and Tuning of High-Performance Street Turbocharger System Mike Warner- I actually stopped by Barnes and noble last night to see if they had anything new and ended up sitting there for about 3 hours and reading this whole book. Doesn't really go into anything real in-depth but in my opinion is one of the best starting points in your knowledge of forced induction. It breaks down each part in the system and explains its function, how ti performs it and the effects it can have on the system as a whole. Easy read also.

Books I plan on reading:

1. Maximum Boost Corky Bell- I have heard rave reviews of this book and have been told it is pretty much a must read for anyone that modifies engines.

2. The Internal Combustion Engine in Theory and Practice Charles Fayette Taylor- You can never learn to much about engine theory, plus I have yet to read a book that dives into the depths of it and really gets into the numbers.

Feel Free to add or ask any questions!

Old 10-30-2007, 07:33 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Tech Book Lists. Good Reads

i own maximum boost and its a really good book