Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

ticking noise, when braking, and turning

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 04:47 PM
HCF Member
Default ticking noise, when braking, and turning

when i brake and it comes down to 30mph and under. when i reverse it's ticking constantly until i stop. and when i'm turning it's ticking...coming from the front. replaced the tie rods and lower control arms in january when i got the car... wtf?!?!

Old 08-26-2007, 04:58 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: ticking noise, when braking, and turning

i know some ****er messed up on putting the bushing on the right brake pad, and i was told by a friend that my axel's rubber accordion thinger on each side is gone. this could be it huh?

Old 08-27-2007, 09:00 AM
HCF Member

I had that problem, but was more of a knocking, left front wheel, turns out it was my axels, they were bad.

I replaced both, problem fixed. They were in need of replacement anyway, may not be what your hearing though. It was rough when turning, and sometimes when slowing. Might go in for a bal or rotation and just ask the dude, hey those axels look ok to you?

Old 08-27-2007, 05:35 PM
HCF Member

They're actually called 'half-shafts,' and if they're missing the boots, it's just a matter of time before the ticking gets worse and eventually fails. Time for new ones, unless you're skilled enough to clean and inspect the CV (constant velocity) joints, pack 'em with grease, and install new boots... which is usually too much of a PITA, considering it's easier to just get new half-shafts and be done with it - albeit much more expensive.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:17 AM
HCF Member

you are both a hundred percent right. lol thanks, it is the axels i need them both. and both rubber accordions are..non exsistant. gotta get that fixed a.s.a.p. can it fall off while i'm driving?!

Old 08-28-2007, 03:37 PM
HCF Member

Half-shaft boots usually don't just 'fall' off - but they can fall apart. They're held on with some hella strap-type clamps that are not designed to be reused. You should notice the clamps and what's left of the boots still on the half-shafts.

If they're clicking and dry, I wouldn't waste my time trying to refurb them and just get new ones. They're cheap enough, after all, to sidestep the hassle of rebuilding them yourself.

Good luck.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:03 AM
HCF Member

yeah, i'm not one to half *** anything, i didn't even know you can rebuild those, i'll get 2 new ones.