Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Timing issue?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 07:03 AM
Red face Timing issue?

Hey all,
I have a '94 Civic DX w/ D15B7 motor that has 250k+ miles. I just replaced the water pump and timing belt. I followed the repair manual closely and triple checked everything I did. The car went back together good but now it has idling and performance problems. The car starts easily and idles ok but has an occasional hiccup sounding like a missing cylinder. All the plugs and wires are new but I inspected them anyway. Also the car feels very sluggish on acceleration. I regularly use Lucas injector cleaner and had the fuel pump checked out. A couple of people told me it sounds like a timing problem. I thought I was careful enough replacing the timing belt but obviously something is wrong. If this is a timing problem how do I fix it?

Old 09-30-2010, 07:11 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You need to check / adjust the spark timing with a timing light after replacing timing belt. If it is way off, you know timing belt is on wrong. Also if you just put third-party wires on, they might be crap. Put the old OEM ones back and try them.