Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

toe adjuster.... anyone use one for rear?

Old 05-24-2007, 05:33 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default toe adjuster.... anyone use one for rear?

well as a few people might know after i lowered my civic i have my passenger side the adjuster bolt is locked up.... im curious... ive been looken around for some other parts and seen these here
http://www.performancecenter.com/pro...NDA/1999/Civic
Rear - Rear Racing +/-.75-Inch Toe Adjuster

are these actualy for TOE in correction or camber adjuster....... i know it says TOE but looks kinda like a camber adjuster.... and well my camber is good! but my toe is messed up on the one side... i figure if this could give me alot more adjustment over the stock stamped piece then id go for this and be sure i have enough adjustment flexability for when i go back to the alignment shop....

just first time ive seen a so called TOE adjuster piece....

Old 05-24-2007, 07:28 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: toe adjuster.... anyone use one for rear?

you shouldnt be able to adjust anything in the rear...since its a 6th gen, but then again the 99-00 are a little different. any who, that kinda looks like the camber...adjuster...and thats crazy how you messed up your toe angle....you had to hit something pretty hard. any way....im not even sure if you can buy an adjuster kit for the toe..you may have to buy OEM parts because to mess up the toe...i think you would have had to bend something like the knuckle or something. the only to parts on my suspension.. (6th gen 98) that can be changed beside the knuckle are the Lower control arms (cant effect camber or toe) and the upper control arm which is non adjustable, but by buying a piece thats threaded, like the thing you got in your picture, you can adjust the camber angle....

you suck that you actually have adjuster bolts...i got...solid steel. lol

Old 05-25-2007, 01:36 AM
Recognized HCF Member

well i cannt see anything bent.... and the guy said the bolt is froze up and he didnt want to try anymore and snap the bolt on my passenger rear... but it says it will fit 92-00 civic so id think you do have a adjuster.... ill have to get a picture of the part that i THINK it replaces... its on the knuckle more towards the front of the middle and turns inwards...

Old 05-25-2007, 07:04 AM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: the_turtle

you shouldnt be able to adjust anything in the rear...since its a 6th gen
yes, you can adjust toe.
and that IS a toe adjuster. it allows you to tweak your toe settings more easily than the stock adjuster. But if your bolt is seized, how do you plan to install it?

edit:

it replaces the "compensator arm" on the right

Old 05-25-2007, 09:30 AM
HCF Member

that pic is for the front...he says its for the rear...and ill go out and snap a pic of my rear suspension...no i wont cuz its 81 in the shade...too hot to go out and jack it up...but ill get one and post it...im pretty sure everything in the rear is non adjustable.... any who...addiction, the passanger side shouldnt be frozen..but its better safe than sorry, because we snaped a bolt for the LCA, so my car was on stands for a week in my buddys garage while they were sent.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:39 AM
mxs
HCF Member

only the left side of that image is the front.
the rear is on the right, and it is definitely adjustable

Old 05-25-2007, 03:33 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya its just like that picture....
and that is the problem with the bolt... IM HOPING!!!!!!!!!! that they just didnt try enough... and ive been spraying it down with some penatration oil from time to time to HOPEFULLY help so i can put a air gun on it and HOPEFULLY pop it loose......

BUT if it snaps... O SNAP O WELL... ill just have to drill and tap and put in a new bolt.. and this time since ill have those adjusters HOPEFULLY those will have enough adjustment that they can compensate for having that adjuster froze up.... then when i get them to align it again ill put some paint marks on the adjuster to know if they back off any...
but will be next month before i can get enough cash for them... but no big problem cause i wont have enough $$ for rims for alot longer.LMFAO
i gotta buy my new amplifier first which will be next week i should have enough cash YEAH... just intime for my stereo comp!

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...adjuster-1.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...adjuster-3.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...adjuster-6.jpg

but since i dont know how the adjuster sits in the rear... it could be tuff.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:04 PM
mxs
HCF Member

but this is the thing... if the bolt is stuck, you can't install the aftermarket adjusters. And if you get the bolt UN-stuck, you don't need the aftermarket adjusters. I don't think you intend to make frequent adjustments to your rear toe settings on your daily driver.

and that is the problem with the bolt... IM HOPING!!!!!!!!!! that they just didnt try enough... and ive been spraying it down with some penatration oil from time to time to HOPEFULLY help so i can put a air gun on it and HOPEFULLY pop it loose......
I had the same problem last fall when I went to get an alignment. they said one of my rear toe adjusters was stuck. It wasn't off by a whole lot so I didn't worry about it right then. But then over the winter when I went to do my rear disc brake swap, we couldn't get either of them out (you have to take out that bolt to swap the trailing arms). we had to set them on fire to get them out. (if you do this then I guess you WILL have to go aftermarket, as the stock compensator arm will have no bushing left in it anymore.)

BUT if it snaps... O SNAP O WELL... ill just have to drill and tap and put in a new bolt.. and this time since ill have those adjusters HOPEFULLY those will have enough adjustment that they can compensate for having that adjuster froze up.... then when i get them to align it again ill put some paint marks on the adjuster to know if they back off any...
You can't see this, but the bolt doesn't just go into a threaded hole. The "nut" that it threads into basically has a big flange on it, and when loosened, it moves back and forth like a sliding door. you loosen the bolt, slide it left or right to get the correct angle, and when you tighten it, it clamps down on the sliders. You can't see this part because it's in that little sealed part of the chassis, with just a little hole in the bottom. You NEED to get that bolt out without damaging it.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:28 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya i dont think i would realy NEED it.... BUT would just be alittle beter safety for piece of mind later on.LOL cause i MIGHT swap the suspension back stock during winters... MAYBE THAT IS......
my camber is no problem pullen just 3 washers just neds toe adjustments....

but then again its just an IDEA.... ive also thought about droping it more BUT i think i like current ride so i might just keep the Stechs cause i like those...

just something ive been kicken around ideas.......

i just dont know how much fire ill have to put on it with the gas tank so close as well being a concern.LOL

i just THINK that if i did happen to snap the bolt shaft that i THINK i should be able to drill it out and tap new threads..... but i guess i have no way to see the internal adjusting mechanism so i might be completly wrong and your right that i should just FIRE it up..... id just rather stay away from roasting it IF i can.......

Old 05-25-2007, 05:37 PM
Recognized HCF Member

also i guess i could always cut a hole in that lower pocket from the back side and stick a bolt thru that side but then again thiers still no idea what the inside adjsuter looks like or mounts like then i can just do a longer bolt and jam nut that sucker to tighten it up realy firm....

man this could be tuff AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEE

just thinking about what to do....
so can the adjuster not be removed EVER? or could i just snap the bolt head off and cut the stock arm in half to remove the bolt/adjuster.... and then just replace the adjuster and bolt with new pieces?

or would only way to know is to pull apart the drivers side first and see if it comes out?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: toe adjuster.... anyone use one for rear?