Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

took off spoiler, helpppp

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 10:57 PM
HCF Member
Default took off spoiler, helpppp

i decided to go wingless today and everything worked fine except for on each side there are 3 holes, how should a cover them up so water does not get into my electrics/trunk?

i know someone has to have dealt with this before and it would be cool if i could get some hints on what to do,

someone told me to take a penny, spray it black and wedge it in there but idk, any other ideas will be helpful,

Ben.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:58 PM

new trunk lid would be the best way to go... find one at a junkyard... there's many EG civics in great condition in FL

Old 12-19-2008, 11:08 PM
HCF Member

but i like my trunk because, 1 i just repainted it and 2 my "coupe" version is more edgy looking then the lx one... that my friend tried to sell me.

do you know of anyways i could plug the holes?

Old 12-19-2008, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by B_Ray
do you know of anyways i could plug the holes?
Put the wing back on.

It's one of those things that you can't really fix once it's done, unless you want to use duct tape or electrical tape to cover the holes. I'd cover them soon or you'll start to get rust.

There's always magnets. Get some of those ribbon magnets and put them over the holes.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:16 PM

bondo i guess... or weld in new metal.

the LX (sedan) version doesn't even fit on your car I don't think... the body lines won't line up

you're kinda screwed as far as the fact you just painted it goes... unless you don't mind half-assing it

Old 12-20-2008, 04:53 AM
Recognized HCF Member

dito..... if you dont want to ditch the lid because you just painted it well then slap the spoiler back on and wait till you get the cash to get the holes filled and painted again...

but if you really dont want to rock the spoiler and just want the holes from leaking.... just get a HOT GLUE GUN... craft section and put some glue over the holes... ive used it plenty of times for temp seals.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:58 AM
HCF Member

ok glue gunning magnet in the holes.

thanks for the help guyssss

Old 12-20-2008, 12:23 PM
HCF Member

i would just find someone with a mig welder, to fill the holes, shouldnt take more than 2 minutes. after smooth them out, for a quick fix and paint(by quick fix i mean, do the job right later). other wise smooth them out bondo, and paint

Old 12-20-2008, 12:50 PM
Recognized HCF Member

i would just glue gun it... nothing else needed. once you put the glue around the area and wait about 30seconds for the glue to cool slightly and harden and then put another small ammount in the center, because the hot glue will sag right thru from it being so hot thats why i would suggest the second tap of glue. the glue will stick very good as long as the area is clean... and if you want it to stick really good then put some more glue on it from the inside of the trunk lid. and when you FINALY have time to get it fixed right the hot glue will come right off with some pressure or even a small razor blade if you have it really thick will also remove it.... either way you remove it it will come off super clean! so nothing else to deal with when you get to really fill the holes.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:36 PM

Go to Lowes or Home Depot. They have plastic or rubber grommets that should fit in the holes. Try in the drawers with the nuts and bolts.

Quick Reply: took off spoiler, helpppp