Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans Fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 07:57 PM
HCF Member
Default Trans Fluid change

This saturday I plan on changing my transmission fluid. I bought 3 bottles at a Honda dealership, along with two washer type rings the guy said I would need if I do it. I have never donethis befor, but from what I've read it wouldn't be much harder than a standard oil change. There is a DIY on here from mill$civic on how to do it, which I will prolly refer to. But does anyone know where I could find a DIY with pics and/or explicitelyfor 6th gens?

Old 04-26-2007, 08:26 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Trans Fluid change

Its going to be the exact same process. The bolts and going to be in the same general area. The only thing thats going to change is the amount of fluid and torque when putting the bolts back in. But a good thing to have, is go to the store and pick up a haynes repare manual for $15. It will tell you everything you need to know with pictures on how to do everything to your car.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:33 PM
HCF Member

Yea, I have a Haynes manual but the pics are small, black & white, and are usually on a dif model civic or del sol's. I want to get a manual thats just on my make and model, but haven't gotten around to it....Any good links people know of with pics?

I'm not saying yours isn't good mill, I'm just a visual learner[8D].

Old 04-26-2007, 08:33 PM
HCF Member

y do u need washers?? but mills i used ur diy to do it this week and i got my car up on stands and i took a box wrench to take my filler bolt off, icouldnt get it off, it was kinda rusty, so i sprayed i with penetrating oil, what else should i use?? maybe an electric one?

Old 04-26-2007, 08:47 PM
HCF Member

The guy at the dealership referred to them assomething but I forget, they look like washers to me. One bigger than the other.

When I took the bolts off my exhaust to puta header in,I used pb blaster. some were tricky and needed to be soaked like 3-4 times but they did come off. And I tell you those things were the most rusted nuts and bolts I've ever seen! Try to use a breaker bar if you can, also anglethe wrenchso that u cantake a rubber mallet to it if possible, helps jolt it loose so you can wrench it off.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:59 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: ic892003
i took a box wrench to take my filler bolt off, icouldnt get it off, it was kinda rusty, so i sprayed i with penetrating oil, what else should i use?? maybe an electric one?
It was hard for me to take it off to man. I had to use the wrench then get a metal pipe to extend it for more leverage. I still couldnt get it off. My dad ended up getting it loose.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:11 PM
HCF Member

yea my fear is breaking the bolt offf tho, i mean rust is easier to break i just dont want it to break off like ap iece of sawdust, cause then i get a piece of the nut stuck in the filler hole and its even harder to get out now [:@]

Old 04-26-2007, 09:18 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: ic892003

yea my fear is breaking the bolt offf tho, i mean rust is easier to break i just dont want it to break off like ap iece of sawdust, cause then i get a piece of the nut stuck in the filler hole and its even harder to get out now [:@]
Well I doubt that, pieces of the rustednut might flake off a bit but it wont shatter. If you have a cheap wrench and socketthey mightshatter (my 10mm socket shattered when I was taking off nuts on my bumber, but it was made in china....) aslong as you have craftsman or better you'll be fine imo.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:24 PM
HCF Member

*They're called "Crush Washers"

and there's no need to replace transmission fluid, unless it's leaking, you grind gears daily and you know it's in very bad condition, or it's an automatic with high mileage. if you have like 100K miles, then when you change it, it will most likely be just as clear as the new fluid you're putting back in (provided your tranny isn't broken).

Old 04-26-2007, 09:28 PM
HCF Member

well, when i shift its stiff and getting into first is a little stiff, i dont have any records the tranny fluid being changed from when i bougth the car on it has 117 k onit, i figuired let me do it myself and learn, whats the worst that could happen, i have new tranny fluid?

Quick Reply: Trans Fluid change