Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Transmition or Soleniod problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 06:46 AM
Default Transmition or Soleniod problem

My civic 97 LX had been giving me problem for a while now. The engine accelerate poorly, Manytimes I had to press the pedal hard for the vehicle to move better. I also experienced excessive shock while the car is in motion. My mech told me I would have to change 2 soleniods... i would like to confirm if this is true? He also said it might be transmition problem, but he said changing the solenoid will solve the problems. Can anyone tell me what are my options and also did Civic 97LX have 2 solenoids?

Old 06-16-2011, 08:12 AM
HCF Member

What solenoid is he talking about? Are they part of the transmission? If so, then you have a transmission problem. I'm not sure why he is making a distinction.

The poor acceleration could be a result of poor timing or misfiring as well. There are more possibilities than simply the transmission. I'd get it checked out by another garage.

Or you need to give us more details such as is the Check Engine Light on, then get it read for free at an auto parts store and post it here so we can see. Misfires will be recorded on the Check Engine Light.