Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Trouble with Hood/Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 07:11 PM
Unhappy Trouble with Hood/Bumper

So a few months ago, my 2000 Honda Civic Ex was rear ended, but my mom who was driving at the time released the break and we collided with the tow hitch of the pick up in front of us. I got the car as a hand-me-down, and the place that repaired the car didnt do such a good job. any ideas on why nothing is aligned correctly?

Trouble with Hood/Bumper-photo.jpg

I could include every picture separately and not in a collage for a better view. Thanks for the help!

Old 07-12-2013, 05:27 PM
HCF Member

Wow, that's not even close to lining up! Were the hood, fenders, ect replaced? Or just the front bumper?

Old 07-13-2013, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by BurningRubber
Wow, that's not even close to lining up! Were the hood, fenders, ect replaced? Or just the front bumper?
I'm not entirely sure, but thats why im guessing. i feel like the place that fixed my car straightened out my hood too much or something. But as for the bumper and headlights, I dont know why they're not lining up.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:25 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by drynchristopher
I'm not entirely sure, but thats why im guessing. i feel like the place that fixed my car straightened out my hood too much or something. But as for the bumper and headlights, I dont know why they're not lining up.
I had a similar problem a few years ago. I hit what I hoped was an empty box on the interstate in the rain. Turned out to be a 15 hp generator. Anyway, had to replace, fenders, bumper, headlights, radiator support and all of the plastic skirting. I bought the fenders, bumper, and plastic from Keystone because they were cheap. Nothing lined up. The holes for the fasteners just did not mate with the frame. I cut new holes and smashed everything together. The cheap parts did not come with clips or fasteners so I bought generic ones at the auto parts store. Long story short, cheap NON-Honda parts and NON-Honda fasteners , all started falling off less than 2 years later. I replaced them with genuine Honda parts with genuine honda body clips and screws and everything mated up nicely. I would wager that your shop used cheap parts and improper fasteners and did not remove and remount your hood properly. Crawl under the car, look for things like Zip ties, and loose body clips. Take it back and insist they be replaced with genuine Honda parts.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:28 AM
Recognized HCF Member

This happens when the car has hit something rather hard and the frame starts to collapse right behind the bumper. The bumper and headlights move back but the hood, being attached at the back hinges, stays in its normal place. Sometimes it is possible to put spacers in to move the bumper forward again.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:42 AM
HCF Member

^ That too
But I would hope that any body shop would check the frame and metal bumper and pistons before putting the car back together

Old 07-18-2013, 02:47 PM
HCF Member

That look worse than a backyard repair