Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble with Keyless Entry

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 10:01 AM
Default Trouble with Keyless Entry

Good morning all,

I got my son a 97 Civic EX coupe and purchased a keyless entry transmitter on eBay. The guy I got it from (the keyless entry) gave me instructions for programming it. I tried that with no luck. I replaced the battery and tried again. Again, no luck. Does anyone have some alternative suggestions or tricks to get this done?

BTW, this is our first Honda and I love it. My son isn't 16 yet so I am driving it. Man is it fun to drive!

Thanks,
Glaze

Old 04-22-2007, 02:57 AM
Default RE: Trouble with Keyless Entry

No disrespect butfirst, i would've never bought a keyless transmitter off of ebay. Can't really trust all the stuff being soldor people on there. I would recommend just totake the carand get an alarm w/keyless entry PROFESIONALLYinstalled. That way you'llto geteasy access to your vehicle and you'll know that your car is "better" protected, especially sincepeople love to steal cars these days.

Old 04-22-2007, 06:49 AM

I just got one and I know on my 99 Civic I had to put it to start push lock on the remote,put it to start push lock on the remote, put it to start push lock on the remote, put it to start push lock on the remote, hear the doors actulate.... then push lock on the remote I was programming. Take the key out of the ignition and then press lock. Basically whats said here. http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...5c83dce17453a1

Old 04-22-2007, 09:23 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mscott827

I just got one and I know on my 99 Civic I had to put it to start push lock on the remote,put it to start push lock on the remote, put it to start push lock on the remote, put it to start push lock on the remote, hear the doors actulate.... then push lock on the remote I was programming. Take the key out of the ignition and then press lock. Basically whats said here. http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...5c83dce17453a1
eh? I read the same sentence about 5 times in a row and then got confused.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:16 PM

Thanks for the help. I will try and see what happens.

Glaze

Old 04-27-2007, 03:04 PM

he means you have to turn the key on and then push the door lock button, and then turn the key off, repeat the process 5 times and the keyless should work.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:13 PM
HCF Member

For those having problems without Step by step, I found this on:
http://www.hi-def.com/Honda_Remote_Programing.html

it might work on the 97 civic you are talking about even though it isnt listed, but the way it sounds everyone else is describing...it should.

Honda Keyless Entry Programming

The following are instructions on how to program your remote transmitters for keyless entry. This document provides details for programming a 2000 Honda Civic remote. The same procedure should work for all of the following:

1998 - 2002 Honda Accord
1999 - 2004 Honda Civic
1997 - 2004 Honda CRV
2003 - 2004 Honda Element
1999 - 2004 Honda Odyssey

These instructions may also be valid for other years and models.

This procedure clears the transmitter codes and creates new ones, so you must program all remotes at the same time, even if one or more is already working.

Enter the car, and close all doors.

Each of the following steps must be completed within five seconds of completing the previous step. If you take longer or make a mistake, start the entire procedure over again.

Insert the key into the ignition, and hold one remote in your left hand. Whenever the instructions say to press the LOCK button, you should press the lock button on the remote for about a second and then release it.

Perform each of the following three steps in order, then repeat all three steps two more times, for a total of three times each:

1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position, marked II.
2. Press the LOCK button.
3. Turn the ignition switch to the Off position, marked I.

Do this three times!

Next, turn the ignition switch to the ON position (II) for a fourth time.

Press the LOCK button again. The door locks should now make a cycling sound, indicating that the system has entered Programming Mode.

Press the LOCK button one more time to program this remote. If you have other remotes to program, press the LOCK button on each one in turn. The door locks should make the cycling sound after you press LOCK on each remote. You may program up to three remotes, and they must all be programmed within ten seconds of each other.

Turn the ignition off and remove the key. The remotes are now programmed and may be tested.

If you've got a trunk/hatch release, hold the button for this function for a few seconds.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:26 PM

Thanks again and I will try this when I get home.

Glaze

Old 09-03-2007, 10:30 AM

I have a 2004 Civic LX. Does anyone know the part number for keyless remote?