Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Trunk lever box

Old 04-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Default Trunk lever box

So the trunk lever next to the passenger seat locks. The little black box with the key hole. I can't unlock it so how do i bypass it so that i can pull the latch for the trunk to open?

Old 04-10-2008, 11:33 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Trunk lever box

why not just use the key on the trunk lid?

see how to pull the trim cover off that panel... but if ya cannt just use something small to open the flap on the key hole and spray some WD40 in the hole and see if it frees it up so you can use the key...
it looks to me like it can easily get alot of diirt in that lock and lock up the small internal pins.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:58 AM
June 2010 ROTM

On the top on the plastic cover there's a plastic tab that can be popped up with a small flat head. Underneath is a screw. Unscrew it. Then pull the trunk handle forward (towards the engine) and it'll pop off. Pull of the plastic cover now and you can get access to the stuff.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:51 PM
HCF Member

if you cant unlock the lever its because you dont have the master key... the valet key will unlock the door and start the car, it will not unlock that lever and will not open the trunk... only the master key will do that.

by pass it by doing what danomatic said

Old 04-10-2008, 02:13 PM

I do have the master key because i can open the trunk lid but it seems to me that my key doesn't exactly fit in any of the key holes and i have to wiggle it around for it to unlock or start anything. But for some reason i does notunlock the trunk lever box.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:13 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya thats true. if its a fat key then you need the slim master key.... take your key to any dealership with your registration slip and buy a master key.
the valet key is only like ALITTLE bit fatter, if ya dont want to buy a new master key then you could always just use alittle sandpaper and just sand enough off the thickness of the key till it fits in the hole and works...
but if the key goes in the keyhole and doesnt work then most likely the lock is just stuck, from either dirt or some coke syrup dried up.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:17 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: burnindesirez02

I do have the master key because i can open the trunk lid but it seems to me that my key doesn't exactly fit in any of the key holes and i have to wiggle it around for it to unlock or start anything. But for some reason i does notunlock the trunk lever box.
o if thats the case go to the dealership with your paper work and have a new key cut....
i know from my blue civic the key that came with it was hard to work with the door lock and ignition just because it was worn down so much over the years and the key was probably cut from a old key as well so the new key was cut to the worn cutout!

a dealership will have the code for the key and make a brand new key.