Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

turn signal help

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 11:14 PM
HCF Member
Default turn signal help

i need a little help. i dont know what is wrong with my turn signal. i flip it on to turn......... then make my turn.... supposed to click and turn off right? well....mine isnt. it just sits there and keeps on blinkin! yea figured it out the hard way when i had been driving down the road and it was still blinking! yea i hate those people. but it doesnt matter, cold or warm i still does the same thing turning either way. anyone know whats wrong or how to fix it?

Old 02-11-2006, 07:33 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: turn signal help

There is this thing called the canceling cam, and it might be broken. Your gonna have to take the steering wheel out. I've done it before in a 85 Chevy truck. What car do you have? I'll look it up. On that truck that i worked on, a spring on the canceling cam was broken. I replaced the spring and then it worked fine. Is it just one of the signals or both?

Old 02-12-2006, 08:58 PM
HCF Member

its both ways. i have no clue how to take it off. im gonna have a new clutch put in soon. there is a place in knoxville that works on hondas and acuras and i was gonna take it there so i figured i could just have them take a look when i take it for the clutch but if it is something fairly simple then i would rather save the money.

Old 02-12-2006, 09:00 PM
HCF Member

sorry forgot to answer your question. its a 96 civic ex. 2dr if that matters

Old 02-13-2006, 10:21 AM
HCF Member

It would be your cancel cam. If your car has an air bag on steering wheel I would let someone else do it, I had a buddy of mine went to fix his and ended up deploying airbag, somehow..LOL I thought it was funny but he didnt see the humor in it.

Old 02-13-2006, 11:03 AM

I think this happens to every single american car once they start gettin old, but i've never ever seen it with a Honda. I've had the same problem with an old Jeep cherokee, a Cav RS and an old Cutlass Supreme that my dad owned. It's a bit of a mission to fix yourslef, having to take the steering wheel out and all. I'd say it's prolly worth the money to have someone do it...and save yourself the headache. I always just lived with having to cancel my turn signal manually....but it's a pain in the *** cuz there were always times that i'd forget.

Old 02-13-2006, 02:14 PM
HCF Member

my driving instructer had that problem on his 99 civic...actaully he had it twice, i guess because his cars practicly on the road for 3 quartes of the day 6 days a week

Old 02-13-2006, 10:00 PM
HCF Member

ok that sounds good thanks for the advice. i think i will just let someone else take care of it.