Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Turning the Key for ignition

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 09:18 AM
HCF Member
Question Turning the Key for ignition

Over the past few weeks, upon turning the key for ignition, I have heard a buzzing sound. Its intermittent; seems like it happens when I keep the key in position (JUST before the engine turns on) for a split second too long. It stops as soon as I turn the key far enough for the engine to turn on.

I have had no problem with my car starting up. Even when I accidentally left a dome light on over night. I am wondering if this electronic buzzing sounds means something needs to be replaced, or will need to be soon. Any advice or words of wisdom?

Old 10-29-2012, 04:07 PM

This "buzz" happens when the CEL is on when you turn the key? Fuel system primes at that point.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:18 AM
HCF Member

My CEL has not been on. I will watch to see if it comes on while turning the key. But, if I leave the key in so the radio and stuff turns on, all the lights on the dashboard light up, so I am not sure if Ill be able to distinguish between the CEL being on for a problem or just because all the rest of the lights are on too.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:02 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Upon turning the key on but not starting, the CEL should come on for a few seconds and then go out. At least that is how the pre-2001 models work I think the 2005 would be the same. This is the government mandatory "bulb check" feature. If the CEL never comes on at all that would mean the bulb is burnt out or has been removed by an unscrupulous used car dealer.

Last edited by mk378; 10-30-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:04 AM
HCF Member

Yea, the CEL comes on but then goes out. The CEL is not what I'm concerned about... I'm more worried that one morning my car will not start.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:28 AM
HCF Member

So I tried googling "car ignition buzz" and found some other car forums talking about this issue. No one seems to have a definitive answer. I'm finding things like 'clean the battery terminals', 'battery is on it's way out', 'the starter is on its way out', 'bad relay/switch', 'turn your key faster and it won't happen'. It is true that if I turn the key faster I don't hear it.

I'm no electrical engineer (chemical engineering all the way!), so I won't be dissecting anything in my car anytime soon. I guess I'll look at my battery terminals and hope my car continues to start every morning this winter. ^^;

Old 11-10-2012, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by HondaHolly
So I tried googling "car ignition buzz" and found some other car forums talking about this issue. No one seems to have a definitive answer. I'm finding things like 'clean the battery terminals', 'battery is on it's way out', 'the starter is on its way out', 'bad relay/switch', 'turn your key faster and it won't happen'. It is true that if I turn the key faster I don't hear it.

I'm no electrical engineer (chemical engineering all the way!), so I won't be dissecting anything in my car anytime soon. I guess I'll look at my battery terminals and hope my car continues to start every morning this winter. ^^;
heres the fix!!
turn the key faster, lol
this is common and it is normal, there is a honda service news that addresses this issue, they recommend not turning the key slowly, as there is no fix.
its just a relay bussing under the dash, that does not yet have full power supplied to it.