Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Turns over slowly, won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 01:44 PM
Default Turns over slowly, won't start

Hoping someone can help diagnose this and save me some time and $ :-)

Have an '07 Civic SI, never had any issues until now...started within the last week as the weather dropped below 30 degrees. When starting, it is now very very slowly turning over and after 3-4 times will barely start up. It seems directly related to the cold -- one day it was about 15 degrees warmer and the car started without hesitation.

My first instinct was that I needed a new battery -- but I'm not having any issues with lighting/etc.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Old 12-16-2010, 02:09 PM
HCF Member

I would recommend taking it to an autozone and have them test the battery, starting and charging system(its free, i work there ) and go from there, since the batt, is 3 years old it might have lost some juice, just my opinion =]

Old 12-16-2010, 02:18 PM

Thanks for the response! Forgot that part, I did take it to the dealer -- and though I didn't have time for them to do a full inspection, they did do a quick test on the battery and said it was performing 'ok'.

Old 12-18-2010, 03:18 AM
Recognized HCF Member

I think a new battery would help your situation. All cars crank slower when cold, this is because of the double whammy of cold slowing the chemical activity in the battery and also thickening the oil in the engine. But when it reaches the point where it barely will start, you need to do something. Batteries usually decline gradually and there's no absolute line between a bad one and one that is still "OK."

Also check the charging system, make sure nothing is staying on that could drain the battery overnight, and don't use heavy oil in the engine in wintertime.