Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Typical Question About Noises

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 05:45 AM
Default Typical Question About Noises

2 distinct ones that I hear. Both of them sound like they are coming from the engine. The first happens when I am already driving.... say 20 or 30 mph. And I accelerate I hear a gurgling sputter... until I let off the gas or I get past a certain point when the engine isn't working so hard to get to speed. I am due for a timing belt in the next 1500 miles so I dont know if these make noise when they start to wear.

The other happens while driving randomly. Sometimes @ 3000rpm on the highway going 70 or between 20 - 40 randomly... Its a mettalic, hiss.... Intensified once it started to get cold.

Thanks In Advance for any ideas. Its a 99 Civic LX 101k

Also... About a year ago I took my car to get the oil changed and the guy said it only had like a half of quart of oil in it when he drained. I was pissed and since then have changed the oil myself with no problemsswitching tos full synthetic. Just wondering if these are symptoms coming back to haunt me.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:20 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Typical Question About Noises

same thing happened to be just this week.

ran the car low on oil, noises started happening and getting worse, then it just blew yesturday.

looking for a new y8 now.

I'd say its a time bomb

Old 11-20-2007, 07:45 AM
Default RE: Typical Question About Noises

Son of a bitch... Well I have put about 25k on it since this oil thing. Are you getting both of these noises?? Also, I dont understand how all the oil dissapeared. I was running synthetic and Im not leaking... As far as I know Im not burning oil either... Ever since I started changing it myself I have not had an issue with oil burning... I bet those ******** shorted me on oil and I think I drove to St. Louis when this happened which was like 400 miles... ugh