Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Valve stem seal replacement DIY

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 06:19 PM
HCF Member
Default Valve stem seal replacement DIY

So I decided that while the head was off I would replace the valve stem seals. Tried to find the C-clamp style spring compressor that was shown in one of the DYI videos. No one had one for rent. They only had the small screw type for overhead valves. Only place I could find the C-clamp style was at Napa and they wanted $93 for it, and had to order it.
So I figured there had to be a way to do it with the tools that I had at home.

So what I did was to pull the spark plugs out, and then I put the spark plug socket under the valves. (A smaller socket probably would have worked better as the head didn't lay flat on the bench) This allowed me to press on the springs and keep the valves in place.
I then took a 22mm deep socket and an antenna magnet, put the magnet through the opening in the top of the socket and put it flush with the large opening. I then placed the socket on top of the valve spring with the magnet touching the tip of the valve stem. I just pushed the spring in using the socket and when it was far enough down the magnet would pop out the little valve keepers. Then I released the pressure and removed the spring.
Using hose pliers I removed the stem seals (this was probably the hardest part). Then using a small deep socket that fit right over the tip of the new seal, I just pressed them into place. Didn't take much pressure.
I then put the spring, spring retainer and keepers back in place. Then using a 7mm deep socket with a short extension and a thumb ratchet (just to keep the extension from jamming into my hand) I pressed the spring with my fingers just enough to get the valve stem between the keepers. Then I placed the socket over the retainer and pressing the spring with both the socket and my fingers the socket would press on the keepers at the same time. You would hear a click when the keepers popped into place.
Got to the point where I could do a spring from beginning to end in about 3 minutes. Of course I got moving a little too fast and forgot to put on 4 of the new seals, so had to go back an redo those.
I just did 2 springs per cylinder, then moved the spark plug socket to the next set of valves. Did one side, then flipped the head around and did the other side. Took about an hour total trying different ways to make things work. Took several tries to figure out the small socket over the keepers. They were a real pain at the beginning.

My fingers hurt like hell for a couple hours and it probably wasn't the easiest way, but it saved me $90 by not having to purchase a tool I probably wouldn't use but every few years.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone who may need to do this with out the proper spring compressor.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:59 PM
HCF Member

Many people do this, but you really should not have used a magnet to take out those keepers.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:14 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by maachan513
Many people do this, but you really should not have used a magnet to take out those keepers.
??????

Old 11-21-2010, 07:15 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by TiggerDX
??????
???????

Old 11-21-2010, 11:35 AM
HCF Member

You make a vague post then back it up with no information. Was just wondering your reasoning as every DIY I found said to use a magnet. The FSM doesn't state either way.
Was just wondering what your logic was behind this.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:46 PM
HCF Member

I didn't think my post was vague at all.

You end-up magnetizing those keepers by using magnet to pick them up. As the engine being operated and wear, the magnetized keepers tend to collect ferrous metal particles being produced inside the engine. The particles would act as abrasive between the two contacting surfaces, valve stems and rocker arms in this case. This could leads to excessive/accelerated wear.

This is what I have been taught in college about 30 years ago. I thought it was common knowledge and thought additional information was not required. FSM may be on the same page as I am. ??? Maybe???

Oil filter would catch such metal particles to avoid such wear but they do have internal by-pass valve built-in, don't they? It would pass unfiltered oil at the start up due to higher viscosity when cold.

I would have bought the proper tool to do the job properly. I don't think I paid that much for my valve spring compressor. But, then, it was about 25 years ago when I bought it,,,,

Last edited by maachan513; 11-21-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:16 PM
HCF Member

By vague I mean you make a statement with no information explaining it. If it were common knowledge then I doubt so many people would post methods on how to do it using magnets.

I do understand the theory behind what you are saying but the amount of metal that the keepers would have to collect would be significant as they are at least 1/8" below the rocker arms. I doubt the 1 or 2 seconds that they were attached to the magnet would allow for that much metal to be attracted to them but it is possible.

Thanks for the explanation. Hopefully it will help someone else from making the same mistake.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:40 PM
HCF Member

I'm glad I learned about this deal with a magnet. I have worked as a mechanic for years & years & have used magnets just as this guy did & never saw what you described. Just because a magnet touches metal it doesn't magnetize it. Even if it did it would be so weak that the oil running over the springs would wash anything off. That is why oil filters were invented & used for many years.
I don't mean to be smart a$$ but this is a little far out there.

Old 11-22-2010, 02:02 AM
HCF Member

As far out it may sound, as I said this is what I have been told in school, ERAU. Even within my field, Aviation, some mechanics uses use magnets for this type of work. An aircraft mechanic has posted/wrote DIY, someplace else, on how to remove valves out of valve guides without removing cylinders and put valves back in place, using a magnet. There is another write up by other mechanic who describes the same procedure in detail using no magnets.

There may not be a real danger here. I have not found the report of accident due to excess wear due to the use of magnets, in NTSB accident reports, yet. But then, I have read only a tip of iceberg of reports. Also, it is possible that a lot of engines/cylinders are being overhauled/repaired before such failure occurs. I know engine overhaul shops have de-magnetizers and use on all ferrous metal engine parts before they are being re-assembled.

A few aircraft piston engines have oil strainers rather than oil filters.

It is a matter of life and death in aircraft, should there be an engine malfunction in a flight. We do what we can to eliminate any possibility of failure.

You spend your own time and money to work on your car engine. If I were you, I do whatever I can do to eliminate any possibility of failure.

I don't categorize using magnets here a mistake. That is why I said "You really should not have,,,,,,," instead of saying "You must have not used,,,,". There is a difference, no????

Anyways, in the end, you practice what you believe and I do what I believe.

Last edited by maachan513; 11-23-2010 at 07:26 PM.