Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

wanna turbo my d15, but need help on choosing the right kit

Old 10-19-2007, 05:44 AM
Default wanna turbo my d15, but need help on choosing the right kit

Hey I'm new to this forum so go easy on me. I have a completely stock d15 with the exceptioin of ported and polised head, custom exhaust, and the biggest intake one would ever see on a civic.
My question is what is the best bang for the buck when it comes to getting a turbo for this engine. I want to go this route because I don't want do go through a motor swap. I also need know what would i be needing to replace and upgrade when i get the kit. I already know about the fuel mangement system and a few other things that involve some ingenuity when it come to the oil issue. I have looked at the greddy which seems to the norm for the ones who do this.
Any help would be nice.

Old 10-19-2007, 04:44 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: wanna turbo my d15, but need help on choosing the right kit

honestly,
just save your money and buy a DOHC engine to throw in there.... if you want power and reliability don't waste time with the SOHC.... i understand that you don't want to get into the whole engine change process but putting a turbo on that 1.5 (w/stock internals) is only going to be as fast as a B16.... plus it's going to be a lot of work to install the turbo and get it tuned... with a B16 n/a... you won't have much maintanence, it will be more reliable, and you'll have a lot more potential to make more power in the future-

Old 10-23-2007, 05:45 AM

If i were going to do the engine swap, i wiuld be dropping in the b18 non-vtech. I know a few guys that have the swap before and then turboed that engine. The reason they chose the b18 is simply because of the fact that they wanted to build a full race preped engine without the turbo first and then once they reached the full potential of the the "all motor" power they then put the turbo on. The only tihng you have to do is be sure to keep the comperession right as you buuild up the motor. One of the guys' car does a 10.1 sec. 1/4 mile. The vtech factor makes that hard to do because of the varible timing. Also its not exactly a waste when you beef the engine up. I helped a another guy build a full out drag-car using a d15. But this engine was heavily modified ( bored out, forged pistons and rods, custom headwork, and so many bolt-ons i can't begine to mention them, along with a 50 shot of NO2). This all came out to bea an almost 15,000 dollar engine that he built and it was running in the mid -12's with that so the power is possible. Don't get me wrong, i do want to do the swap, but the hold up is the want for something to work on, the turbo is just the qiuck way to me. One other thing, maybe i exaggerated a bit when i said that its completely stock. The pistons are clevite's performce line for civics and the rods are eagle , and the rings are clevite to, and the headgasket is felpro's high compression. Everything else is sotck and i'm thinking of converting over to a dry sump system with a high-flow external oil pump.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:33 AM

10.1 wow thats fast...what was to top speed do you know?

Old 10-24-2007, 05:17 AM

If i remeber right it was a little over 140

Old 10-24-2007, 06:39 AM
HCF Member

lmao, did the mods censor it when people spell VTEC wrong? That's quality right there...

Old 10-24-2007, 09:47 AM

WELL EXCUSE ME YOUR HIGHNESS!!!???

VTEC

Old 04-27-2008, 10:16 PM

i have a94 hatchback with a jdm d15b vtec swapand have been toying with the turbo or swap ideas my car is a everyday car what kinda hp numbers do you think i could get with the turbo set up vs jdm b16a2 swap