Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Water shooting from exhaust when car is floored. Car is getting 14MPG But, runs fine

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2024, 04:28 PM
Default Water shooting from exhaust when car is floored. Car is getting 14MPG But, runs fine

Hello everyone ! - First post.
1993 Honda Civic DX hatch .Stock 1.5 with automatic trans.
Engine has appox. 130-ish thousand miles ( Speedo /odometer broken )
Car is getting less than 15 MPG when driven normally.
Was getting 32 - 35MPG a year ago. 42 on the highway.
Today, I ran a test by revving the engine all the way.
Since I was not driving, I was able to video the exhausr pipe.
The car fires right up and idles fine. No missing or sputtering.No water dripping from the pipe when at idle. ( Or not more than a few drips at least )
However, when I floored it, it shot around a gallon of water out of the exhaust like a cannon, and did so for three additional times I did the same test.
My first thought was that my head gasket is about to blow,
BUT, I noticed that my engine fan was not even on , and the guage read normal temp.
The coolant level in the radiator was to the brim, and even had a nice bright green, whereas before it looked watered down ( so it seemed to 'stir' up the coolant a bit )
When I checked my oil, there was no foam under the cap, and it smelled as it should.
plugs look normal.
Also, this was on a WARM engine. Not a hot engine.
I just ran around the block to warm yhe engine just enough to get it warm so there would be no cold start revving on the engone
So, the cat converter going bad perhaps ?
Well if that were the case, I should smell it, right ?
Also, I have had no CEL come on. No hot floorboard either.
And this was on a warm engine, not a hot one.
I recently had my exhaust replaced, but before that, my originsl exhaust was rusting out FROM THE TOP.
If water somehow gets trapped in the pipe, it would collect at the bottom of the pipe, but the rust was at the top.
The car does not smoke, has a perfect idle, and smells 'normal'.
And obviously I have not driven the car in water, so that's not it.
Bad gas ? Water in the gas tank ?
Well, if thst were the case, I would have a rough idle, and hard starts, but the car idles fine, and starts on at most three .cranks.

So...what is this water, and where is it coming from ??
-Thanks !

Old 02-21-2024, 04:10 PM

How many people are on this forum ?
Is the question just too dumb to reply to ?

I know that condensation is normsl for an engine, but not when it's shooting out like a water cannon !
The liquid is most def water, and not radiator fluid.

I was half hoping that this would pinpoint where to look for my MPG problems, but if it us indeed normal, then I'm back to where I was to begin with at not knowing what could be the cause of my poor MPG.

The car fires right up, with no more that 6-7 revs of the starter, idles perfect, and drives like it always has.
Slow as a snail, but this is a stock 1.5 civic dx auto.
No loss of power, no strange sounds or smells from the engine or trans.
Nothing rubbing or stuck like brakes or E brake. No fuel leaks ( no gas odor at all except if i overfill the car and that goes away after a few miles )
I just don't get it.
The only thing I can think of, is that my injectors may need adjusting and are making the car run too rich.
But if thst were the case, wouldn't the car bog down when you accelerate, and idle rough ?