Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Weird A/C Condenser Fan and Compressor Clutch Relay Problem.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 01:43 PM
Default Weird A/C Condenser Fan and Compressor Clutch Relay Problem.

Hi,

First time posting here, but these forums have been a great help and I'm hoping someone can help me with what I think to be a weird issue.

I traded a s10 for a 96 Honda Civic DX, with the 1.6L 4 cyl. The A/C doesn't work. After a little bit of research and jumping relay connections, I have been able to get the A/C to blow cold.

But the problem is when I have everything hooked up correctly the Condenser fan won't run and the A/C Compressor clutch won't engage.

However if I jump the Condenser fan relay socket connection and turn off the A/C in the car by pushing the A/C button so that the light is NOT on the Compressor Clutch engages and the A/C starts blowing cold. If I push the A/C button so it's on and the light, lights up the Compressor Clutch disengages. Also if I remove the jumper from the Condenser fan relay socket or put the relay itself back in, the condenser fan shuts off and the Compressor Clutch disengages. With everything hooked back up correctly I have tried pushing the AC button in the car on and off and still neither the condenser fan will turn on or the compressor clutch will engage.

I have replaced both the Condenser and Compressor Clutch relays with new ones but the problem remains.

Anyone have any idea, why this would happen and or how to fix it?

Last edited by sbartelme; 08-17-2016 at 01:45 PM.