Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Weird rough idle, throttle problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 07:54 AM
Exclamation Weird rough idle, throttle problem?

alright, i will start from the beginning and first say i do not have access to a ton of the equipment to check pressure, volts, etc.

This is a 98 Honda Civic LX, 5 speed, 190k, no mod's, completely stock!

anyways, this all started when i was driving about 30 minutes away, the car ran good the whole distance until i was close to where i was going. i was running fine until someone pulled out in front of me. i then had to brake and slow down, when trying to accelerate from there i had a total loss of power to almost none. it would struggle to pick up speed and sometimes jerk. i managed to get over to the side of the road to where it would start right up and sit at idle (1000 rpms) just fine. as soon as i hit the gas, it would kill it. well tired of sitting miles away and trying to seek help, i turned the idle up (2200-2500) which got it to where i could drive it home.

now a month or so later, a new battery and new fuel filter later. i am able to still drive the car with the idle turned up to around 2000-2200 rpms, which is idling high ofcourse but keeps the car driveable. if i push down hard on the gas to the floor it feels like it just opens up and looses every bit of power and slowly dies. if i ease on the gas and ease off the clutch i am able to take off and drive it.

the cel is on and i had it hooked up and got a few codes, one had to do with a bad ground (think i fixed that problem), battery, o2 sensor (mechanic said mine was fine) and one to do with an emissions sensor if i remember right. sorry dont have all the codes or print off's anymore.

so, anyone experience a problem like this, i have cleaned the throttle body which helped a little, i have cleaned the cap and rotor which had corrosion on the terminals and tip of the rotor, helped very little. the problem just doesnt seem to go away and i am sick of messing with the car. if theres something off hand you think i could try and get closer to the problem, thats what i am looking for. anything that fixes this or just makes it run like it should.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:50 AM
HCF Member

i would search for a vacuum leak first. spray the vacuum hoses with carb cleaner, and if the idle jumps up a little that hose is bad.