Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

What should I inspect before taking a 6k trip?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 06:16 PM
HCF Member
Default What should I inspect before taking a 6k trip?

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I had a kind of general, diagnostic kind of question: I was wondering, as a 92 4-door Civic driver, what should I inspect and check out before taking a 3-week, 6k mile trip? I just recently got the car about 3 weeks ago, and, so far as I heard from a friend mechanic of mine and another mechanic who sold me the car, the car was seen to be in good condition. Thanks for the help.

-Jon

Old 07-09-2008, 06:21 PM
Default RE: What should I inspect before taking a 6k trip?

check all fluid levels and make sure they're good. check for leaks. check exhaust for rusted out pieces. check all CV boots and such for tears. Check your air filter and possibly replace it. Check your belts. Check your tire tread level. Check your tire pressure.
Change your oil and oil filter for sure. Since you're going on such a long trip you should use synthetic so you don't have to change the oil during the trip.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:26 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Has the timing belt been changed?

Change the oil and check the condition/level of the tires, drive belts, brakes, wiper, wiper fluid, coolant, brake fluid, clutch fluid, and transmission fluid.

Make sure all lights/signals work and that CEL works and is not ON.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:44 PM
HCF Member

Check to make sure your AAA or similar roadside assistance is current and valid and have the phone numbers. If you don't have roadside assistance, get it! I have mine through my insurance (USAA) and it's only $1 a month.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:18 AM
HCF Member

also check for anything on the car that cause it not to pass inspections, because some cops don't really care if you're just passing through.