Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

What'd I do? PS pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 08:02 AM
Default What'd I do? PS pump

96 civic EX manual
So my idler pulley fell off the other day... I probably forgot to tighten it enough after the recent head gasket change. I unbolted the power steering pump and twisted it up and out of the way so I could get the pulley back on (left the hoses connected). I did remove one of the two bolts attaching the upper hose to the pump so I could swing it away for better access to the mounting bolt holding the PS pump. I put the bolt back in before swinging the pump out of the way.
After re-attaching everything it appears I now have no power steering!... which worked fine before I put the pulley back on. Yes I put the belt back on.. It didn't exert any indication beforehand that there were problems with the power steering which makes me believe something I did caused it.
I added a little PS fluid to the reservoir just to be sure and did what the manual said for bleeding the PS system (it just said to turn the wheels both directions before the bump stop and let it run for a few minutes).
There are no weird noises giving indication that the pump is bad.

Any ideas what may have caused this and how to fix it?
Is there any way to tell if the PS pump is working before I try replacing it?
Could it be the steering box?
Just a thought I had.. wonder if the belt is too loose causing it to slip on the PS pump pulley so it's not turning as fast as it needs to.

Thanks!

Old 09-02-2014, 04:40 PM

No ideas?

Old 09-02-2014, 05:13 PM

Turned out it was a slightly loose belt! Guess I was right.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:44 AM
HCF Member

Yeah, you want it tight but not too tight, make sure there is a little deflection or else it can stress the pulleys (power steering pump, etc.). If the power steering is going bad you would notice squeaking when turning only. This is especial if you are parked and turn the steering wheel with the car on this is when it works the hardest.