Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Wheres the PCV Valve for 2001 Civic EX

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 02:32 PM
HCF Member
Default Wheres the PCV Valve for 2001 Civic EX

I searched before i posted so don't flame me for not searching first if another topic exists.

I think i found it after spending hours looking for the damn thing but i want to make sure. Is it like a silver looking metal plug behind the air filter and next to an electrical wire that appears to connect to the air filter case? It looks like i would have to take out the air filter and the casing that holds it to get to the PCV Valve. I tried looking under the car near the oil filter like i read in other forums after doing a google search, but i couldn't find it.

Help as always is very appeciated...

Old 01-18-2009, 06:24 PM
HCF Member

On a 2001 EX two door it's here, # 4
17130-PLM-A01 VALVE ASSY., PCV $16.96
Name:  D17PCVlocation.jpg
Views: 7435
Size:  28.3 KB

Last edited by TheJGB3; 01-18-2009 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:50 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Replacing the PCV valve is done from below. Wait for an oil change when the oil filter is removed. This will greatly increase access to the valve. Under these conditions, the job is relatively simple. You may want to replace the rubber seal (item #6 in JGB3's diagram) at the same time.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:01 PM
HCF Member

Well i was aware of the diagram and aware that it was under but i couldn't find it. Is there anyway i can reach it without waiting for an oil change. I have around 3,500 miles or so to go and would like to do it now.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:09 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by WILMER007
Well i was aware of the diagram and aware that it was under but i couldn't find it. Is there anyway i can reach it without waiting for an oil change. I have around 3,500 miles or so to go and would like to do it now.
Yes, but the job will be more difficult. Having small hands would also help.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:25 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
Yes, but the job will be more difficult. Having small hands would also help.
Do you got any pics or tips to help me out? Would like to get this done ASAP without having to wait for an oil change. I'm very picky when it comes to keeping my car in tip top shape. My hands are a bit big but maybe my dad might be able to do it since his hands are a little smaller than mine. We can certainly try. Worse comes to worse can't i just take out the oil filter temporary without spilling oil everywhere? i mean it's not like i'm taking the oil plug out and the oil draining out the engine. I mean i do remember reading a thread i think on another forum about a guy taking the oil filter out for a moment to change the PCV valve.

Last edited by WILMER007; 01-18-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by WILMER007
Do you got any pics of tips to help me out? My hands are a bit big but maybe my dad might be able to do it since his hands a little smaller than mine. We can certainly try. Worse comes to worse can't i just take out the oil filter temporary without spilling oil everywhere? i mean it's not like i'm taking the oil plug out and the oil draining out the engine. I mean i do remember reading a thread i think on another forum about a guy taking the oil filter out for a moment to change the PCV valve.
I agree. Unfortunately, I don't have any pics. Follow the PCV hose from the intake manifold. It ends up at the PCV valve at the other end. Due to the poorly accessible location of the PCV valve, it's mostly a touch and feel job.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:37 PM
Recognized HCF Member

OOPS. For some reason, I thought you had a 2000 Civic EX. My PCV instructions were for the latter car not the 2001 Civic EX. Therefore, some of my comments may not be entirely correct. Sorry.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:42 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
I agree. Unfortunately, I don't have any pics. Follow the PCV hose from the intake manifold. It ends up at the PCV valve at the other end. Due to the poorly accessible location of the PCV valve, it's mostly a touch and feel job.
So are you saying Good Idea or Bad Idea for the Oil Filter Removal?

I wish someone would come around in the next few days and maybe give me a picture of where and how it looks like exactly. Worst case i guess i can take some pictures tommorrow and see if maybe i can get a shot of it and someone can point it out. Thing is i have a feeling the PCV hasn't been changed since it's not easy to do and i don't wanna wait another 3,500 miles to find out.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:44 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I am saying to go ahead and remove the oil filter.

Quick Reply: Wheres the PCV Valve for 2001 Civic EX