Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

white Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 09:01 AM
Default white Smoke

At startup, we have white smoke that goes away when the car warms up. It's def. sweet.

Little back story...
This car has been an overheating nightmare since we got it. My fiancee bought a 97 Civic used from a dealer. A few months in I had to change the radiator and a million other things. I will stay with what happened with the cooling system.

I've replaced so many hoses, radiator cap, radiator, thermostat. Finally from the car going from being undrivable... I was able to get around for a few months with no problems.

Then, it would spike in temperature after about 20 miles of being driven. It went from needing coolant every few days to almost every day.

Now, I didn't wait for this problem to get like this and not do anything. I've taken it to 3 mechanics (which I think I've never had a good experience at any mechanic). No one can solve the overheating problem. A hefty 500$ repair on all the break calipers was a bonus though.

They claimed to pressure test, drive it around for a while, and nothing. It was driving me nuts. The other day, I was driving home after just filling the radiator. I went maybe 10 miles before it went to the H on the temperature meter.

Pulled over instantly. Opened the hood and the top radiator hose had about an inch long slit in it. It burst.

Walked to the auto store, got the tube.. replaced it.. and no problems for 2 days (long time for this car). Then again... same problems.

At this point, She has spent so much money on the car itself, and then repairing it in less than 2 years... I don't know what to do. We are tapped out on funds.

Any advice?
My thoughts blown/cracked head.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:43 PM
HCF Member