Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Will replacing engine components boost performance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 12:30 PM
HCF Member
Default Will replacing engine components boost performance.

I have a theory. I sitting in class yesterday and a thought came to my mind. And this is it " If I buy high performance engine components such as skunk2 cams, camshafts, and valve springs or whatever, would that increase the amount of performance my pittly d16y7 puts out. If I have used any incorrect termonology, or this though is completely rediculous, please feel free to let me know as soon as possible.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:34 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Will replacing engine components boost performance.

if you want more power, i would do an engine swap.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:52 PM
HCF Member

I just started this new job this week doing deliveries. So, with some extra cash I was looking to do a mini-me swap. I don't really have a couple grand to do a b16 or any other swap.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:01 PM
HCF Member

you can get a good motor on ebay under $1000.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BUILT...ayphotohosting

Old 10-30-2007, 01:39 PM
HCF Member

just build your D it'll make some reasonable power built and boosted and yes internals do add hp but you got to do it right and dont whimp out on parts

Old 10-30-2007, 02:35 PM
HCF Member

Do the mini me, that is good for 27 hp or so. What kind of gains are you looking for? Whats the budget?

Old 10-30-2007, 02:42 PM
HCF Member

lol, whats a mini me?

Old 10-30-2007, 03:09 PM
Super Cereal Admin

A head swap to convert a non-vtec engine to vtec operation. Do a search on them and I'm sure you'll find a wealth of information as well as a few how-to's (Honda-Tech will have how-to's if you can't find any here).

And to the OP: a few things... one, a cam and a camshaft are the same thing. Now, a cam and a cam gear are completely different. Anyways, upgrading to a stage II or higher (from what I've heard, stage I cams are basically a waste of money for the power you get out of them. Now, this is just what I've heard; I still have my stock cam, so I wouldn't know from experience) camshaft will almost definitely give you a decent boost in power. Just keep in mind that if you uprade to a Stage II or higher cam, it's (highly) recommended that you also upgrade the valvetrain (valves, valve springs, valve spring retainers).

Old 10-30-2007, 04:47 PM

Glad to see your asking these questions. I to am interested in this but first off I have to switch my Y8 out for my Z6 cause I spun a rod bearing in my 2000ex. After I get that in and get my new tranny and clutch in I will be doing some internals and then some boost when I get the funds to do so!

Old 10-30-2007, 05:32 PM

Yes.

I have one more thing to say... get new suspension before you buy some engine mods... you're car is painfully high off the ground. You won't regret new suspension if you go with a nice setup

Quick Reply: Will replacing engine components boost performance.