Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will replacing engine components boost performance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 11:24 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Will replacing engine components boost performance.

I know, its disgusting ( how my car's not lowered, even though in person, it's not that bad.). I was thinking about getting just some skunk2 lowering springs with a skunk2 camber kit. But back to my engine question, My budget is around $1,000, so after my car gets lowered, what should I do with my engine. Im thinking the mini-me would probably be pretty difficult to do, but I don't really know. My mechanic seems to be pretty not informed about any sort of honda engine modding, so I don't even know where I would go to get any of this done in the first place. I mean, I have a few friends that are mechanically enclined, and could potentially know how to do this, but I dunno. Any suggestions with a $1,000 budget and limited resources for install, let me know.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:22 PM

Actually a mini me swap isn't really hard at all. Its actually pretty simple if you have everything you need, someone there to give you a hand with things, and the tools to do the job. Have you taken the time to do a search for the step by step instructions with pictures thats here on the site and there are also alot more if you do a search on google. If you do a search and read up on it and print someones DIY write up to have by your side while your switching out your headsI think you will be suprised about easy can be done.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:18 PM
HCF Member

Yeah, ever since I heard about it I've been reading lots about it. I am just really scared to screw up my car if I do something wrong. But, yeah that would be the best bet, I'd prob have like 3 copies and 3 guys of my buddies and see if we can take it on.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:56 AM
HCF Member

Don't feel bad. Your Civic handles ten thousand times better than my Cavalier with stock suspension!

Old 11-03-2007, 12:31 PM
Super Cereal Admin

I say either go for the mini me swap or get a stage II cam and full valvetrain

Old 11-03-2007, 01:22 PM
HCF Member

suspension are important also. try getting a short shifter too. They will help make the car quicker but not faster.

Old 11-03-2007, 03:04 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: jakeolas

I have a theory. I sitting in class yesterday and a thought came to my mind. And this is it " If I buy high performance engine components such as skunk2 cams, camshafts, and valve springs or whatever, would that increase the amount of performance my pittly d16y7 puts out. If I have used any incorrect termonology, or this though is completely rediculous, please feel free to let me know as soon as possible.
skunk2 doesnt make a cam for the d16y7, do a mini-me swap and then put a skunk2 cam in the head, you are gonna feel a little big of boost with the valvetrain mainly the cam upgrade.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:50 AM
HCF Member

Yeah I have a skunk2 short shifter and skunk2 ****, ****s bomb. I definitely want to do the suspension, then the brakes, then the swap.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:51 AM
HCF Member

Would you be able to supply me with any parts my good sir ? You sound like quite the little dealr, haha.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:58 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: reaper2022
Just keep in mind that if you uprade to a Stage II or higher cam, it's (highly) recommended that you also upgrade the valvetrain (valves, valve springs, valve spring retainers).
Because AFAIK that cam makes lots of super high RPM top end power. It would be best to stick with the mini-me swap. Mini-me will give you midrange and top end power thanks to VTEC.