Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Wiring to distributor

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 07:13 PM
Default Wiring to distributor

I've been inspired (by internet videos and my cheapness) to replace my 1998 Honda Civic DX tec distributor myself. Honda service has done the diagnosis that the distributor needs to be replaced so that is not the issue. After reading and watching some videos I thought I could do this myself. I've become stuck after finding the wiring is different from what I was expecting.
I've included a picture. There is a cable (of three wires) running from the drivers side to the distributor. One wire is then spliced to the black and yellow wire coming out of the side of the distributor. A second wire is spliced to the black and yellow wire of the distributor connector. The third wire is grounded.
What is this for? I will connect this all again in the same way but I'd like an understanding of why this is here. I have been unable to find my answer either in the Haynes Repair Manual or in the Honda Factory Service Manual. Both repair manuals just say that you just reconnect the wire connectors but make no mention of this cable or the need to splice wires.
Sincere thanks for any help.

Attached Thumbnails Wiring to distributor-distributor.jpg  
Old 07-29-2013, 07:38 PM
Recognized HCF Member

That wiring is not stock. It is probably an attempt at an anti-theft system to kill power to the distributor. Follow where the two black wires go. Or just cut them out and splice the black-yellow wire back together and see if the engine will start. The black-yellow wire supplies power to the distributor. It should have battery voltage when the key is on (run or start position).

Last edited by mk378; 07-29-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:46 AM

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I've been killing myself reading everything I could to figure this out. There is an anti-theft system that has been installed in the vehicle. I never would have figured this out.
Sincere thanks mk378 who ever you are!!!

Old 07-30-2013, 05:34 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Do not cut the wire on your new distributor. If you want to keep the system, install it properly by splicing into the wire on the car side of the plug instead. Then if the distributor needs replacing, it is still a simple plug in.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:06 PM

I never would have consider that either! Will it matter which of the black wires splices onto the connector? I'm assuming I should splice the one that currently goes into the distributor onto the connector and the other one splice onto the wire that leads away (not sure if that makes sense).
Thank you again for your quick response - you made my day!

Old 08-28-2013, 06:37 PM
Default Thanks

Thanks again mk378! Car is up and running beautifully! Feels years younger!