Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car Cranks But No Catch

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 12:10 AM
Default Car Cranks But No Catch

Been having issues with my 97 Honda Civic Dx, I crank the car but the car doesn't want to seem to catch.

- Distributor has been changed
- Alternator has been changed
- Starter has been changed

I checked for sparks from my spark plugs and it gives off a strong blue spark.
I then checked for the main relay to humm when the car is in start position. Everything seems to be working correctly. I also went through my fuse box and check all the fuses and they all seem to be still intact. I went to my last resort and that was for me to go buy starter fluid and spray it. Nothing still happened.

I'm starting to lean towards that I should check the compression or else, maybe my fuel pump isn't good anymore.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:16 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Yes you should check compression and cam timing. Not firing the starting fluid could be because there's bad timing, no compression, or because the cylinders are flooded with gas. Do the spark plugs get wet with gas?

If it were a no fuel situation, it is simple to check for fuel flow by disconnecting the return hose that goes from the fuel pressure regulator to the metal line on the firewall that goes back to the tank. You should get a good flow of clean fuel out of the regulator whenever the pump runs. Testing on the return side instead of at the filter proves that the pump can develop full operating pressure and open the regulator.

Last edited by mk378; 08-29-2013 at 05:18 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by mk378
Yes you should check compression and cam timing. Not firing the starting fluid could be because there's bad timing, no compression, or because the cylinders are flooded with gas. Do the spark plugs get wet with gas?

If it were a no fuel situation, it is simple to check for fuel flow by disconnecting the return hose that goes from the fuel pressure regulator to the metal line on the firewall that goes back to the tank. You should get a good flow of clean fuel out of the regulator whenever the pump runs. Testing on the return side instead of at the filter proves that the pump can develop full operating pressure and open the regulator.

Thanks, I will be checking on all of those things today. The spark plugs do not get wet or do I smell gas coming from the cylinders. I checked the fuel by loosening the fuel rail and watching the gas spray out strong. So i'm not leaning towards it being something with a fuel but something I will keep in mind. But thanks.