Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Won't move!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 12:25 PM
Unhappy Won't move!

So I've got a 98 Civic with a standard trans and an Acura B18A1 motor. Last nigh I did some stupid retarded ****. I wanted to burnout. . .hard. I revved the motor to high and popped the clutch. There was a loud pop and a small, brief cloud of smoke. Sitting in first gear the car wouldn't do ****. So I knew I ****ed up. I took it out of first and tried second, still nothing. Under further inspection I found that the car would shift through all 5 gears without even pressing the clutch, but it still wont move. It wont go into reverse with OR without the clutch depressed. I know I ****ed something up but I'm not sure what. ANY help I would be grateful. This is the first standard trans I've ever owned or driven for that matter. I've had it for a total of 3 weeks and the front axle is broken at the boot. I swear I'm not hard on cars I've just had a string of REALLY ****ING BAD LUCK. I was going to get the axle fixed on Monday and I now I can't even move the damn thing. I'm hoping maybe I snapped the clutch cable because that's alot more manageable than a ****ed up trans or a shot clutch. PLEASE HELP!

Old 01-14-2012, 12:41 PM
HCF Member

Buy a Haynes manual. And how can you say your not hard on cars when your doing burnouts in a Honda civic? Those cars are meant to be economical unless you put some sweat and blood into it, which obviously you don't know what that is.
Anyways...your tranny might be fine...
Does the clutch pedal move at all? Or is it stuck to the floor? Are tou sure you have a clutch cable or is it a hydraulic system(since its swapped)?

Old 01-14-2012, 01:07 PM

It has quite a few aftermarket parts on it and the guy that had it before me raced it in the local street races. It has a supped up suspension, racing tires, and special rims so I simply assumed. It WILL get up and go, but I know it's no muscle car. The car has had several things taken out and modified to give the motor more power. I'm not sure if it actually has a cable or not but the clutch pedal still works just like before so I'm guessing I'm not lucky enough for simply a snapped cable. Like I said I got this car three weeks ago and I work 6 days a week so I really haven't had a lot of time to tinker with it.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:11 PM

Before I got the car the guy was about to install VTEC and reprogram the car with Hondata software. So THIS civic isn't just for point A to point B driving. I would NEVER try to burnout in ANY stock Honda. I'm not a mechanical genius but I'm no special ed either. That's my brother

Old 01-14-2012, 01:29 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Does the speedometer go up when you put it in gear and try to go? If it does, there's a problem with the axles such as having one pop out of the transmission, or a broken CV joint. Since you had a bad CV joint in the first place that seems likely.

If the speedometer does not go up, either the clutch or the transmission is broken. In that case, either way you'd be taking the transmission out of the car to inspect.

Last edited by mk378; 01-14-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:32 PM

The speedometer does move when I put it in gear and try to go. But there is absolutely NO movement for the car. Not even a bump. NOTHING AT ALL happens in any of the gears

Old 01-14-2012, 01:39 PM
Recognized HCF Member

OK, that CV joint (I assume it's an outside joint) is probably broken. Jack up that side of the car and support it safely. Try to rotate the wheel by hand while you hold onto the center part of the axle. There should be no play in the joint. If the wheel turns but the axle doesn't, there's your problem.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:57 PM

So you don't think it's a clutch or trans problem. It's FWD and the drivers side axle is broken. WOW what the hell was going through my head when I thought it was a good idea to spin out with a BROKEN AXLE! I do feel special ed now. I'm gonna go put it on a car dolly and bring it to my house and check that out. I will post again and let you know. Thanks a lot.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:17 PM

Well you were close but I'll still give you the cigar. Before I did this dumb **** the drivers side CV joint was going bad and had already gotten fairly rough. When I did the dumb **** I snapped the passenger side axle clean in half. It was still spinning LOL and since this car has an open differential if one wheel doesn't work you're goin nowhere. Thank God that it wasn't a clutch or trans problem because I'm certainly not Mr. Money Bags. Do you have any suggestions on what brand or type of axle I should get that would be better for a lowered car? My Civic is approximately 4 1/2 to 5 in. off the ground.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:40 AM
HCF Member

Stick to OEM. Honda makes really good cb joints