Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

YAY! grinding sounds!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 09:02 AM
Default YAY! grinding sounds!

Hi guys, so i was hoping i might be able to get some help with a grinding sound.

It originally started when i would make sharp u turns, i would be turning left and the right side was making a grinding/scraping sound.
When the car started going straight it would stop.

Now it can happen when i accelerate, and when i brake, but NOT always, and sometimes worse than others.

Any body have an idea as to what it might be? Car has 118,000 on it as well, 9x civic lx.

=p

Last edited by hey gliders; 01-25-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:49 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Check the brake pads first, they have "wear indicators" which are designed to make a squeaking / grinding noise when the friction material is worn down and they need to be replaced.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:46 PM
HCF Member

Would agree with the previous comment, had similar problem a good while ago, is something called chatted clips also with brakes, cost pennies, could be that too

Old 01-25-2012, 05:36 PM

Ok, i can do that.

I figured it might be something else due to bbeing intermittent.

It sounded uneven earliar. Like it was warped? idk how to describe other than it seemed like as the rotor spun, a portion would scrape harder than the other.

Its also most prominent at speeds of less than 20 mph.

It brakes well, i dont feel like their almost out, front brakes do most of the stopping right?

Old 01-25-2012, 06:06 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The noisemakers are designed to kick in and make some harmless noise to warn the driver before the brakes wear down to the metal and ruin the rotors. Typically the noise is intermittent and it goes away if you press the brake pedal slightly.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:11 PM

yeah I thought about tha, it doesnt really help.
wouldnt both sides be going out? im quite certain the sound is only on the passenger side...

Old 01-26-2012, 06:39 AM
HCF Member

There's a number of things that can cause premature brake wear, but in short, no, they will not always go out evenly in pairs (ie both fronts/both rears)

Old 01-26-2012, 06:45 PM

My apologies if this is completely off the wall, but given the original description of when the sound occurs (including sometimes on acceleration), is it possible that the tires are rubbing inside the wheel wells at times? If there's very little clearance, the tires could make contact under all of the circumstances described.

Meanwhile, thanks for the thread title. I'm sorry you have the problem, but the title gave me a good, though entirely sympathetic, laugh.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:34 PM

I was thinking that, it sounds too metallic to be a tire.

I swear it hurts me hearing it, im honestly scared ima chip a tooth from it. =/

ANd of course! I intended to draw people in with good vibes!

=]

Old 01-27-2012, 07:38 PM

Try messing with the dust cover mine was rubing after I did the brakes and had to move it around it only did it when I made a turn tho

Quick Reply: YAY! grinding sounds!