Motorsports/Racing Any information and/or stories about all forms of racing are here!

Proper Launching RPMs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 04:35 PM
HCF Member
Default Proper Launching RPMs?

So Im not entirely sure if this is the correct thread to be posting this, so sorry if Im in the wrong place. Im curious though, when you launch your vehicle (not necessarily for racing) what RPMs do you launch at? Do you just dump the clutch or do you ease it out? Finally, do you start in first or second gear? Any other tips for launches are appreciated as well!

Old 09-15-2011, 07:23 PM
HCF Member

first gear, depending on u can rev up slightly and let off clutch or u can give gas a couple revs and dump it at 5 grand 5500 some where around there .... good luck man id just go out and mess around for a bit see what your style is

Old 09-16-2011, 05:17 PM
HCF Member

Yes easiest way to launch is to try different rpms. But in reality launching is so hard on the trans/engine it isn't something that should be done that often. Every time you launch you are hurting/risking:
-Axles: very proner to snapping at the cv joint
-Clutch/pressure plate: the immediate force really does a number on the clutch and pp
-Flywheel: The dumping of the clutch and the fast engagement can cause hot spots on the flywheel
-Engine: Unlike auto trans, in manual the crank is actually being pushed on since the clutch engages and disengages. Thrust bearings on the crank are supposed to keep the crank play within spec, dumping the clutch puts extra stress on the crank and creating more play and greater chance of engine internal damage
-Trans bearings: Same thing, the sudden impact can damage bearings

Launching isn't that great for the car itself, but I do it, just be prepared for consequences unless your car is built to take it. As for me, when I launch, it varies depending on which tires are on. My last tires I had for my fronts I would launch at around 4k if not a little less. At that rpm I'd get a little bit of wheel spin, but enough traction to move me and would grab pretty fast. On my tires I am running now, they grab a lot harder, so I am launching at around 4.5k. I still get the spin, but I need to launch higher to try and reduce wheel hop (very hard on axles) and once the tires grab I am already pretty high in the rpms and making power.

Basicaly, you want to launch somewhere where when the tires grab, you are coming towards your power band. Launch at 3k, car will bog, now you have to rely on low end power which in a Honda is non existent. Launch at 5k+ you will most likely spin too long to be effective, unless you are on slicks. So you just need to find that middle ground that you will catch at a good rpm but not spin like crazy, all depends on the motor, tires, and driver reaction on the throttle.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:37 AM
HCF Member

what can u say great lay out scott lol