New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Buying a boosted '94 civic - good idea??

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 12:47 PM
Default Buying a boosted '94 civic - good idea??

Hey sup people,hope to learn and give as much as possible to this community.

So I found a '94 civic that's been modified (to include an integra engine, I figure that's the b16 swap or something?) along with other things like new rims, wheels, clutch, and so forth. I'm someone who's willing to learn about cars, but I can't say I know much now.

Would a car like that be reliable and worth it while I learn? Oh by the way, he's asking for $4000, which can obviously be negotiated. Oh, and should I check for anything in specific when I test the car out?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Old 08-15-2008, 02:16 PM

it's a B18. what's the full engine code? it is on the front of the block, right next to the transmission.

check for rust, ask him if the timing belt's been changed and how long ago it was changed

listen for funny noises, look for oil leaks, etc.
don't be afraid to ask any question you have about his car. if he knows enough to swap the engine, he should be able to tell you anything you ask.

if all checks out it should be good. if the swap was done properly and the car has been maintained, it should be reliable. get that price down to like 3500 or something.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:46 PM
HCF Member

if i was to learn more about cars i would not start out with a boosted car, i would start with a completely stock one and work it up from there... IMO

How many miles on the rebuild engine? make sure the engine is done right and everything is maintained well,like what trustdestruction said or your gonna run into problems

Old 08-15-2008, 05:03 PM
Snail'n Admin

Yea its nice that youre willing to learn, but a boosted car is not exactly a car to begin with. There will always be small problems you need to fix, especially with a non factory turbo'd car that is now boosted.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:22 AM
Default I see..

thanks guys

I see what you mean greddy.. I read through your project on building that civic you got now. Pretty sweet, all that work you put into it looks like fun dude. I'm definitely opting for a different (relatively old) civic that has only had minor exterior work done to it, so I can mess around with the insides once I know more. I liked lookin through all the info and pics you put up, but for the most part I didn't understand crap =/

Besides I also need this car to take me on 5 hour road trips, 'cause I need it for college. So the less likely it is to break down the better. Thanks again though, really appreciate it