New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

D17A2 Swap Recommendations for Los Angeles

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 10:59 PM
Default D17A2 Swap Recommendations for Los Angeles

Hey Folks,

I'm a noob to this site and I'm posting this thread because I could use some solid advice from the Honda peeps about where to do a used D17A2 engine swap in Los Angeles. If you know a good mechanic in the LA area, can you PLEASE post them here or PM (Personal Message) me?

Here's the story: My girlfriend has a 2003 Civic with a D17A2 engine. Last week, the person in front of her slammed the brakes and she rear-ended that person. Luckily, everyone was okay. She kept driving the car for the whole week without getting it checked and then when we were driving the Civic over the weekend, I began to see smoke in the rearview mirror and so I pulled off the freeway. Long story, short... I towed the car back to my mechanic in West LA, he diagnosed the problem and told us that his shop needs to remove the cylinder head to examine the problem inside the engine. By removing the radiator cap and the oil cap, he showed us that the radiator fluid mixed with the engine oil and somehow caused the D17A2 to overheat. I'm assuming the radiator is an issue since she rear-ended the person in front of her. Today, we spent about 3 hours this morning disassembling the head from the block and found there to be a lot more issues than anticipated. Therefore, we are looking into a used engine swap for another D17A2. I know there are a ton of different cool swaps out there (k20 and such) but she just needs to get back and forth to work since this her daily driver (she's not an autocrosser). This would just be a D17A2 straight swap.

So, thats the deal... any advice would be great to hear. We just need a good mechanic that knows how to work on a Honda. I know the Pomona area has a lot of shops out there but I don't know which ones are trustworthy. I'd love to get my hands dirty and do the swap myself, but since I've never installed an engine before I'd rather leave my girl's safety in the hands of a professional. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Melow01/2003CivicD17A2#

Old 10-18-2009, 09:37 PM
HCF Member

hmm, well im not too savvy with 01'+ civics but i know you could browse your local craigslist for the engine swap. Or you could also search hcfs classifieds/for sale threads. Lastly the junkyards (of all the ones i've been to in SD, CA, i've yet to see a new 01'+ civic)

but you might have more luck where your from maybe.