New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

First post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 02:53 PM
Banned
Default First post!

I thought I'd use my first post to introduce myself and my ride. I have a 1990 Civic Hatch STD. I bought ita couple years ago and was very impressed with the handling for a stock vehicle. Finally, I've decided to start my path to set it up for racing.

I have only taken the first step, but I think it is an important one: I performed the conversion to rear disc brakes. I went in to "Honda and Acura Recycling" in Fresno, CA and asked for the trailing arms/calipers/rotors/e-brake cablesfrom and Integra. They gave me all that plus the upper, lower, andtoe arms (AKAcompensator arms) and the struts too! They said the parts came from a stolen/recovered 1991 Acura Integra with no damage (other than the tranny missing - stolen). This was important to me to know that the partsdid notcome from a wrecked car.

I used the lower arms, but notthe upper arms . . . theydidn't seem quite as stout as the ones already on my Civic. Also, I couldn't use thetoe arms since they were too short (would cause a lot of toe-in). Finally, I wished I could have used the struts, seeing as how they are much stiffer (and, consequently, would help with the little bit of understeer I have), but they are 1" taller than those that are on my Civic.

This was all perfect timing, as my rear-left wheel bearing was going out and had to be replaced anyway. The whole setup works great and the installation went without a hitch. This was a very easy mod to perform. The hardest thing was getting the e-brake cable routed and clamped down, and that wasn't even that hard.

Next step: Install front knuckles, hubs, rotors, and calipers from an '88 - '91 Civic EX . . . and eventually, better struts all around!