New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Hey Guy's.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 06:02 PM
HCF Member
Default Hey Guy's.

My Name is Hall, I somewhat recently got my license and, ended up buying a torn up Hatchback civic DX. I had to tow it home with 225,000 miles and a blown engine, broken shift linkage, broken brakes, and needing plenty of tlc. With my dad's help, and a few nights (lately!) of no sleep, I got it to look like a more polished piece of ****! haha I know its nothing special but I'm a 16 year old kid and did what I could.

new motor mounts I pulled from a yard.
swapped in a d15 I got for free.
painted dah hoooood!
Wheels! ahha actually came on the car with tires in amazing shape 16's??
overall washing waxing polishing haha
radiator
a little bit better than oem brakes.
ghetto shift linkage.
lowering springs in the back coil overs in the front/

FUTURE mods.
next week I work overtime, and get a enough money for a cold air intake, but input on some other modifications would be nice guy's!

Thanks bro's!

Last edited by Funtington; 08-15-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:24 PM

not too shabby, looks just like my first civic. welcome to the forum

Old 08-15-2010, 06:30 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by civicsrus
not too shabby, looks just like my first civic. welcome to the forum

thanks bud!
I am guessing your fairly knowledgeable.
I have two questions one is opinion one is tech.

1. If I were to adjust my distributor cap, so it would idle a bit faster, would that make for a faster car I am clueless?
2. paint roof black and the little wing on the back black? opinions?

Old 08-15-2010, 06:32 PM
HCF Member

Dang the body looks like it's in great shape! get everything else fixed up and you'll have a clean hatch

IMO keep the roof and wing stock color, don't paint them

Old 08-15-2010, 06:34 PM

1. Not likely
2. No, if you were doing two tone i think you should do it at the body line right under the windows

Old 08-15-2010, 06:35 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Superfly
Dang the body looks like it's in great shape! get everything else fixed up and you'll have a clean hatch

IMO keep the roof and wing stock color, don't paint them

Got the car for 500 bucks! it has dings from shopping carts and doors but no NOTICABLE dents really! so stoked on that. thanks for the input and comments breh!

Old 08-15-2010, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Funtington
1. If I were to adjust my distributor cap, so it would idle a bit faster, would that make for a faster car I am clueless?
1. The cap doesn't adjust, the whole distributor does. Adjusting the distributor adjusts ignition timing, not idle speed. If your idle was higher, what would that have to do with making the car faster? Nothing.

In theory though, advancing the ignition timing a little bit would make the engine a little more powerful, if you did it the right amount... however, it's not going to make a noticeable difference, if any at all. You just want to make sure that the ignition timing is in OEM specs... try to get it as close to the middle of specs as possible. My advice... if it runs fine and you don't know anything about ignition timing (sounds like you don't...), leave it alone. Personally, I adjust my ignition timing to specs and try to keep it as close to the middle of specs as possible, or slightly advanced but still within specs since that would be better than slightly retarded but within specs.

2. my vote is no. I think you should paint the hood to match the body, actually. I like that color you have, I think it would look even better if the hood (and bumper) matched.

Last edited by trustdestruction; 08-15-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:37 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by ttop191
1. Not likely
2. No, if you were doing two tone i think you should do it at the body line right under the windows

like above the rubber strips down the side too the windows? a strip of black?
that could be actually pretty dope

Old 08-15-2010, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Funtington
thanks bud!
I am guessing your fairly knowledgeable.
I have two questions one is opinion one is tech.

i agree to leave the roof and wing alone, it looks pretty good how it is now, and as for adjusting the distributor cap.....i dont believe that would make your car any faster, but im sure there are plenty of people on here with more knowledge than me about it who could give you a more in depth answer. sorry i couldnt be more helpful with that part.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:39 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
1. The cap doesn't adjust, the whole distributor does. Adjusting the distributor adjusts ignition timing, not idle speed. If your idle was higher, what would that have to do with making the car faster? Nothing.

In theory though, advancing the ignition timing a little bit would make the engine a little more powerful, if you did it the right amount... however, it's not going to make a noticeable difference, if any at all. You just want to make sure that the ignition timing is in OEM specs... try to get it as close to the middle of specs as possible. My advice... if it runs fine and you don't know anything about ignition timing (sounds like you don't...), leave it alone. Personally, I adjust my ignition timing to specs and try to keep it as close to the middle of specs as possible, or slightly advanced but still within specs.

2. my vote is no. I think you should paint the hood to match the body, actually. I like that color you have, I think it would look even better if the hood matched.
I can tell from your photo you likea murked out car!
I can respect that.
It idles really nice now, I was just curious. cold air intake? worth it? mandatory?

Quick Reply: Hey Guy's.