New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Hey guys, just got my civic!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 07:59 PM
Question Hey guys, just got my civic!

I just bought this beauty 3 days ago, gonna start putting some money into it real soon

This weekend im picking up some black halo headlights and coilovers as my first installment and then go into headers + exhaust + air intake

do you guys think I should tint my tail lights, get new black euro style looking ones or leave as is?

and suggestions on headers, exhaust, and air intakes that might be cost efficient, but still get the job done would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Thumbnails Hey guys, just got my civic!-dsc01425.jpg   Hey guys, just got my civic!-dsc01427.jpg   Hey guys, just got my civic!-dsc01428.jpg   Hey guys, just got my civic!-dsc01429.jpg   Hey guys, just got my civic!-dsc01426.jpg  

Old 06-12-2009, 08:13 PM
HCF Member

welcome to HCF, sweet looking civic you picked up. i would say forget about doing projector halo headlight. and use it towards the coilovers. for the taillight, first thing you should do is to get the 99-00 civic tail light to give the civic a cleaner look. Header i recommend megan racing or dc sports. Exhaust i recommend Apexi WS2 and for intake i if you want cost efficient get an ebay piping and get a name brand intake or if you want name brand filter i recommend AEM or Injen. I also say get a cold air intake instead of a short ram, unless in your area you are worried about hydolocking, then get a short ram. I also recommend you add an CTR grill and lip kit.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:32 PM
HCF Member

i would also suggest staying away from projectors... i have never heard ANYTHING good about them and they dont look good at all on an ek anyway... if you want black housing headlights.. i would suggest some similar to THESE... i think theyd look great on your car...

id also say save up for a GOOD set of coils or lowering springs stay away from ebay performance parts, except intakes for piping.

Nice car hope you keep it clean

Welcome to the site

AND if you need a signature hit me up

Old 06-12-2009, 11:59 PM

Buying a name brand filter and ebay piping is not saving you any money, AEM short ram intakes are only $100 shipped on ebay, whereas a name brand filter and ebay piping will cost $100 total or more. You might as well just get the entire thing name brand AEM.

Projectors are hit and miss. I paid $200 for a "nice" pair of them and they broke while freaking adjusting them (properly). I had a cheaper set before that and they barely lit the road. Aimed them all the way up and the cutoff line was still way too low. I recommend some black housing reflector lens headlights. Whatever headlights you get, seal them with silicon (where the lens meets the housing, all the way around the light).

For taillights please don't get "euro" taillights. Keep what you have, tint what you have (you'll need to upgrade to brighter (usually LED) bulbs for safety reasons), or get 99-00 EX/Si taillights (my favorites... they're just like yours except the amber part is clear).

Only install name brand proven coilovers. If lowering more than just a tiny bit, always try to replace shocks at the same time with better ones, as yours will blow shortly if you ride on them lowered. If those coilovers aren't name brand, I suggest you throw them away... they can break and you can hurt yourself and/or your car, and even if that doesn't happen they will definitely be uncomfortable due to there being little-to-no research/development in the manufacturing process of knockoffs. Also, the coatings can wear off and the springs can rust and eventually break. They'll also sag over time much quicker than quality coilovers or springs.

For exhaust I recommend A'pexi WS2. It's the exhaust of choice when you're going for a good sound that isn't obnoxiously loud and annoying. Loud exhausts are eventually something you will regret. You'll like it at first, but in a few months you'll be tired of not being able to hear your stereo and the unwanted attention from police. You're not going to find a good sounding cat-back exhaust without spending at least $400. This really is one of those things where you get what you pay for. The more you spend, generally the better you can expect it to be and sound.
I can't stress this more: Do not cheap out on exhaust.

For an inexpensive header, check out the Megan Racing 4-2-1 header on eBay. It's a good buy. Just make sure you properly torque all of the bolts and recheck them after the first couple warm-ups and cool-downs of the engine.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:47 AM

Thanks for the good advice guys, I posted this on another thread, might as well post it here

I found dropzone coilovers and projector headlightsboth for $100, i know a couple of you are against the projector headlights but i think they'll look realli nice if they work. Is this too good of an offer to pass up? here are the pics

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=76201

Old 06-13-2009, 08:59 AM

Projectors are ugly and overdone. Less is more when it comes to headlights. You just want a clean looking simple headlight that functions well without looking lame.

Dropzone isn't really that great at all. It's like a half a step above no-name ebay. I had their shocks once... blew in 6 months.

Last edited by trustdestruction; 06-13-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:11 AM

I had dropzone coilover sleeves and shocks on a previous car (98 Civic coupe ex)... they rode rough as all hell! Yes, many of us are not fans of projectors for numerous reasons... but if you like them, then go for it.

If you're asking if this an extremely good deal (both the headlights and coilover sleeves), I would say that it is a fair price.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:26 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
Dropzone isn't really that great at all. It's like a half a step above no-name ebay. I had their shocks once... blew in 6 months.
i had their shocks once too..mine blew under 30 days!!!

Old 06-19-2009, 07:31 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by om4r

Signature is WAY to big dude