New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Im so confused...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 05:30 PM
Default Im so confused...

Hey guys , Whats up. Im new to the whole tuner thing. Ive been building Hot Rods and Muscle Cars for about 15 years and its time for something new. Something I can drive and be some what comfortable in. Ive always had respect for tuner cars....when there done right. I have alot of questions. here's my main delima. Ive ben looking for a 92 - 95 civic coupe. I like the stlye and most important the availablity of parts. It seems for one thats been unmolested they want an arm and a leg for it. I found a 93 coupe 5spd 1.5 with 140,000 miles on it. The only problem is that it has been "touched". The car runs and is inspected. It has DC header and short ram air intake. Two problems I found. 1)While test driving it I noticed the throttle was very sensitve. The only thing I could think of was the timing had been advanced? 2) at idle the car would bounce frome aprox. 1000 to 2000 rpm. Again i was thinking a problem with mass air sensor? Besides that the interior had been "customized" with some spray bomb. The exterior paint has had every sticker know to man on it. I can pick this car up for about 400 bucks. Im i better off waiting or is this a deal? Im looking to build a go car and not a show car. The cheaper I buy the car for the more money i have for goodies. Any advice???? Thanxs

Old 03-29-2009, 05:36 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well the idle speed can be something as small as air in the coolant system. if it runs and drives 400bucks is a steal. as long as its not rusted away that is....
its hard to find one not molested..... but you can remove the paint on the trim panels if they just spray painted it and not sanded it. simple brake fluid ive heard.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:06 PM

For $400, I think it's worth a little work to bring it back to stock. And yes, it is HARD to find unmolested Civics for cheap. The ricer movement killed a lot of them through ebay modification, fast and furious wannabes, and street racing.

That idle roaming problem is pretty normal for that generation of Civic. There are several threads on this forum that cover that issue. It's usually a really easy fix of just cleaning the IACV or a sensor.

The sensitive throttle could be due to the intake and header or it could be some sort of little modification the previous owner did. We can probably help you with that.

If you don't want to bother with cleaning the paint off the inside, I'm sure you'll find plenty of wrecked Civics from that generation at your local pull apart junk yard.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:09 PM
HCF Member

yeah definitly worth the price, just do some work on it and it will be back to stock. Civics are easy to work on and parts are easy to come by. Good luck man!!!!

Old 03-30-2009, 11:15 AM

It looks like a done deal. I should be picking it up tonight. I'll get some pics up soon. Make sure there are'nt any children in the room. Its scary!!! Thanks for the help. Im sure I'll have a ton of questions for you guys....

Old 03-30-2009, 01:51 PM
HCF Member

Can't wait to see it. Sounds like a great deal.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:21 PM

Nice find! Can't wait for pics! The interior can be put back to stock colors with some time and effort. And for the the idle surge, maybe a vacuum leak?

BTW: Welcome! I am in the S.E. PA region, too! +1 for more PA HCF-ers!

Old 03-31-2009, 09:02 AM

Deal fell through.. So im on the hunt again. O'well

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
Nice find! Can't wait for pics! The interior can be put back to stock colors with some time and effort. And for the the idle surge, maybe a vacuum leak?

BTW: Welcome! I am in the S.E. PA region, too! +1 for more PA HCF-ers!
Cool where at?? Im in the Willow Grove Area..

Old 03-31-2009, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by BodyWorx
Cool where at?? Im in the Willow Grove Area..
I am in West Chester, about 2 miles from the University. Good Luck on the search!

Old 04-02-2009, 11:06 AM

Found a 1992 coupe. Typical honda rust and paint.. Bone stock. 1800.00. Not a great deal but it's unmolested. Ill get some pics up soon..

Quick Reply: Im so confused...