New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Intro/ Looking into a civic(what should i keep an eye out for)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 11:29 AM
Default Intro/ Looking into a civic(what should i keep an eye out for)

Hey guys whats up.

Im thinking of diving into the little world of civics!

Going to take a look at a 2000 Civic EX, automatic, with about 99,146 miles(correction). Guys asking for $3,000

What should I keep an eye out for?

Thanks

Last edited by Zeroskillet; 01-29-2009 at 05:29 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:51 AM
HCF Member

I'd go for the 5 speed if you can drive it. And if you can't drive it it's a very good skill to have. But be Sure he had the timing belt and water pump changed. If not tell him to take money off the top.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:52 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Consider these:

What general condition is the body and tires of the car in? Does the engine make any unusual noises and does it have a normal idle speed cold and hot? Does the transmission shift smoothly? Any fluid leaks visible above or below the car? Are the fluids all at proper levels? Is the dash CEL, SRS, or battery light ON?

Last edited by RonJ; 01-28-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by V8DIET
I'd go for the 5 speed if you can drive it. And if you can't drive it it's a very good skill to have. But be Sure he had the timing belt and water pump changed. If not tell him to take money off the top.
I've considered this and have a few people trying to convince me of this....but thing is that I live in Miami. Miami has killer traffic and it just plain sucks to be shifting all the time.

Any sure way to see if belt and pump have been changed besides just asking the sales guy?

Originally Posted by RonJ
Consider these:

What general condition is the body and tires of the car in? Does the engine make any unusual noises and does it have a normal idle speed cold and hot? Does the transmission shift smoothly? Any fluid leaks visible above or below the car? Are the fluids all at proper levels? Is the dash CEL, SRS, or battery light ON?
Sweet

Old 01-28-2009, 02:56 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Zeroskillet
I've considered this and have a few people trying to convince me of this....but thing is that I live in Miami. Miami has killer traffic and it just plain sucks to be shifting all the time.
I agree with V8Diet. You'll get a better MPG having a stick, and you'll be faster then an EX automatic. Traffic really isn't that bad with a stick.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:45 PM

How much would a water pump and timing belt change cost me if it hasn't had one?

Old 01-28-2009, 04:06 PM
HCF Member

How much would a water pump and timing belt change cost me if it hasn't had one?
My prices will be different from your prices since I live in canada. Are you doing the work or a garage? Either call the garage or the parts store, easiest way to get an answer.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:21 PM

Well I just wanted a general idea of how much it will usually run.... Timing belt i can change...water pump idunno

Old 01-28-2009, 04:26 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Well I just wanted a general idea of how much it will usually run.... Timing belt i can change...water pump idunno
About $350 to $650, depending on who does the work and what is replaced. The timing belt must be removed to replace the water pump. The timing belt (crank pulley removal) is the hard part of the job.

Consider replacing belt, water pump, tensioner, and all three drive belts.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by RonJ
About $350 to $650, depending on who does the work and what is replaced. The timing belt must be removed to replace the water pump. The timing belt (crank pulley removal) is the hard part of the job.

Consider replacing belt, water pump, tensioner, and all three drive belts.
I see. So I should look for wear and tear on the belt eh...

Quick Reply: Intro/ Looking into a civic(what should i keep an eye out for)