New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

A little help..i think

Old 10-01-2006, 05:02 PM
Default A little help..i think

Allow me to introduce myself My name is Candace from Newfoundland Canada I own a 91 Civic HX hatch, she's my best friend so reliable and 389,000 kms later she still runs like a charm. I also have recently (today) bought a 98 civic (CLL??) Automatic... just a family sedan nothing fancy got a great deal on her she is silver 4 dr in wonderful shape and civic has never let me down in the past so i figured what the heck? Only problem is when changing gears she hits Super Hard , The owner thought CV joint..but I'm thinking it's definately the engine mounts. Maybe this is a common problem one of you have experienced before maybe not...if this is the case tho..which I think it maybe most likely is ..how much am I lookin at for a new engine mount (Thinkin it's one of the rear mounts) oh yes and also the Temp gauge and Speedometer tend to work only about 50% of the time...any idea what that could be ? Anyways any and all suggestions will be appreciated since I don't know a heck of alot about cars ??

Old 10-02-2006, 06:49 PM
Default RE: A little help..i think

sounds like either your front or rear mount is out. i would check the front first. thats the one that always goes out on me. also sounds like u have a wiring problem with your gauges.

Old 10-02-2006, 08:54 PM
HCF Member

im not sure as far as transmissions and motor mounts. However, the 6th gen (1996-2000) civics are famous for hard shifting transmissions. However it may be alarming, Honda has stated it nothing to worry about.

To tell if you need new motor mounts (an indication would be a shaky car in idle) check the rubber on the interior of them. If they are cracked/dry rotted, its time to get some new ones.

Old 10-06-2006, 05:04 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys but I think I may have a Ghost mechanic working on my car. The other night I went out for a spin and the check engine light came on? and now all of a sudden the car is not hitting hard at all when she changes gears? Weird huh ! Shes actually back to normal as far as that goes but the speedometer only works about 40-50% of the time while the temp gauge has not been working at all? I was thinking some type of speed sensor ? But then again I know nothing about cars. What I do know is the gas gauge works perfectly. I will see about the wiring but in the menatime if you have any other suggestions as to what it might be I am thankful for all comments ! THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HELP..YOURS TRULY CANDY