New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

New to the civic world

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 06:22 PM
Default New to the civic world

Just wanted to say "hi". I am new to the world of the Honda Civic. I just bought a 2dr 96 EX with 78,000 miles for $4000. I am owner number 3. I guess a couple bought it new, sold it in Jan 05 with 55,000 miles on it. The guy I bought it from (a work aquintence) seems to have had more money than sense. He is about 65 years old so maybe he was just trying to feel young again. He changed the timing belt and fuel injectors. Spent $2000 on Exedy clutch/flywheel, cold air intake and Thermal exhaust. This year he put a new battery and alternator on it. Does this sound like a good deal? I thought it was, that is why I bought it. Any suggestions or hints to take care of the car. I know it is low miles, but it is still almost 11 years old. To me it seems there is a little too much play in the shifter, and I get some slight gear grinding going from 2nd to 3rd when shifting fast. If I take a little time and push straight forward there is no grinding. Does that have something to do with the aftermarket clutch? It seams I have to push it all the way to the floor to get the best response from the clutch. Is this normal too? Nice to be on this forum where I plan to learn a lot from you experienced people! Take care.

Old 08-28-2006, 06:53 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: New to the civic world

You have to push the pedal all the way down? maybe it needs fluid for the clutch.
BTW 78000? the car still has a lot of life left in it if you take good care of it.

Old 08-29-2006, 02:23 AM
Stinky Administrator
Default RE: New to the civic world

welcome to hcf you might check your clutch master cylinder to see if its leaking .inside the car on the drivers side under the dash check for fluid and it sounds like your shifter bushings are bad check the diy section for info enjoy your stay good luck