New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

New to civics quite a few questions =P

Old 01-25-2010, 06:14 PM
Default New to civics quite a few questions =P

hey guys im a big american muscle guy (dont be to hard on me) but recently picked up a 93 Honda Civic.

It has 131k miles
5speed
No power steering (I kinda like it)
2 door pics to come tomorrow

NO LEAKS!!! I was amazed at the fact it had ZERO leaks

So far Im loving it!!! Awesome gas mpg and it actually has a little pep with a 4 cylinder.

Ive only got one it once because I wana take care of it, and want it to last awhile.

So to my questions.

1) It has 131k miles unknown if timing belt has been replaced (I think thats what need to be done at 100k right?) should I have it done how much does it cost?

2) It runs great!!! However when it idles it sounds from the inside of the car like it is knocking a little not loud more of a low pitch but under the hood I cant hear it (its not a engine knock ive heard those)

3) Rims, Im not big into rims but I dont like steelies suggestions on a decent priced set of rims?

4) stereo stinks so looking to replace it and the speakers looking at infinity speakers or polks

5) HID lights? My lights are not the best to see at night and I drive at night so how much are a good set of HIDs or what would you suggest?

6) I have drove clutch before but have a question it doesnt engage untill almost all the way out is this normal for a civic? (other cars I have driven have engaged before then)

Wow sorry so many questions hoping you guys are cool, from posts I have read it looks like most of you guys are cool!

Thanks in advance hope to stick around for awhile my civy is growing on me trying to think of a name for her.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:46 PM
HCF Member

1) You should change the timing belt to be on the safe side. If the timing belt snaps, it can cause major damage to the engine.
3) You can find some oem honda rims. A lot of people like the si rims. And hx rims. (Light weight) and thens there's others. You can look at a thread under lounge that has pics of peoples favorite rims.
4) Yes after market radio and speakers will improve the sound in the car. I also plan on getting infinity (reference series) for my rear. I have alpine tye r's in the front. With a pioneer deck.
5) Upgrading your bulbs can improve your visibility. I currently have the sylvania something lights. They increased light output for me somewhat. But there's some one on this site that sells hids. Those are pretty good. Don't get the ebay ones, they are cheap and will last like a month.
Welcome to the site, we have many knowlegable people, a lot knowlegable then me that can help with just about anything
Oh yea, post pics of your car. We love pics. Lol

Old 01-25-2010, 06:47 PM
HCF Member

1. Yes, I'd have the timing belt replaced or do it yourself.
Probably could use a tune up too.
2. Not sure about the knock, get it tuned up and go from there.
3. Depends on your idea of as a decent price. You're looking at around $400 at the least for new rims. You can also look at used rims.
4. I would replace the stereo and speakers, yes. What is the question?
5. Not sure, I'd like to know myself.
6. Clutches can be adjusted.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dipsetcivic117
1) You should change the timing belt to be on the safe side. If the timing belt snaps, it can cause major damage to the engine.
3) You can find some oem honda rims. A lot of people like the si rims. And hx rims. (Light weight) and thens there's others. You can look at a thread under lounge that has pics of peoples favorite rims.
4) Yes after market radio and speakers will improve the sound in the car. I also plan on getting infinity (reference series) for my rear. I have alpine tye r's in the front. With a pioneer deck.
5) Upgrading your bulbs can improve your visibility. I currently have the sylvania something lights. They increased light output for me somewhat. But there's some one on this site that sells hids. Those are pretty good. Don't get the ebay ones, they are cheap and will last like a month.
Welcome to the site, we have many knowlegable people, a lot knowlegable then me that can help with just about anything
Oh yea, post pics of your car. We love pics. Lol
pics are coming tomorrow

Do you have any idea how much a timing belt is gonna run me?

Hoping not much was trying to get a new radio tomorrow lol

Old 01-25-2010, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by stuco
1. Yes, I'd have the timing belt replaced or do it yourself.
Probably could use a tune up too.
2. Not sure about the knock, get it tuned up and go from there.
3. Depends on your idea of as a decent price. You're looking at around $400 at the least for new rims. You can also look at used rims.
4. I would replace the stereo and speakers, yes. What is the question?
5. Not sure, I'd like to know myself.
6. Clutches can be adjusted.

1) any links to write ups on DIY? How easy is it to mess up?
2) Sounds good will do
3) looking for used not over 300 preferably
4) was wondering which are better polks of inifitys sorry didnt really post that question lol
6) thanks

Old 01-25-2010, 07:11 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Any CEL codes?

Replace the timing belt. It'll cost $350-$500, depending where the work is done. Look for a local mechanic experienced with Hondas.

Is the idle speed low?

Try adjusting the push rod above the clutch pedal.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:17 PM
HCF Member

This place has rims starting at $55 each. http://www.buywheelstoday.com/search/wheels.asp

So that would be be only $220 before shipping. ($50?) Don't forget tires though!

Old 01-26-2010, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by RonJ
Any CEL codes?

Replace the timing belt. It'll cost $350-$500, depending where the work is done. Look for a local mechanic experienced with Hondas.

Is the idle speed low?

Try adjusting the push rod above the clutch pedal.
NO, no CEL code.

I dont think the idle speed is low, no rpm tach so not sure...

Ill try that rod

Thanks stuco

Old 01-26-2010, 04:29 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Does the CEL work? It should turn on and then off after 2 seconds when the key is turned to ON(II).

The idle speed may be low, causing the engine to bog. If there are no CEL codes, then clean the IACV and replace the PCV valve.

Name:  picture_4308.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  84.0 KB

Old 01-26-2010, 05:53 AM
HCF Member

If you're at all mechanically inclined don't pay a shop to change the timing belt. You can do it yourself for about 85 bucks (~65 timing belt ~20 for a water pump). Buy a Chilton repair manual and follow what it says. It'll take a good few hours for the first time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to civics quite a few questions =P