New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

New to civics quite a few questions =P

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by norbster86
If you're at all mechanically inclined don't pay a shop to change the timing belt. You can do it yourself for about 85 bucks (~65 timing belt ~20 for a water pump). Buy a Chilton repair manual and follow what it says. It'll take a good few hours for the first time.
Im so-so but if I mess this up it wouldnt be good and I dont have any place to work on it. You kinda answered a new question though.

What all do they do when replacing timing belt?
I called and he said they had to replace water pump (which you answered) and they have to replace valve cover gasket.

How hard is a tune-up on one of these? Plugs mainly easy to get to I have not checked yet getting out of school right now lol

I got a quote from one shop for 5 something and 80 off the timing belt

Old 01-26-2010, 06:34 AM
HCF Member

Eh, not huge on shops. But 5 something sounds like the going rate...

Plugs, wires cap and rotor are not hard and would take 45 min(?) while drinking a beer. Change the oil, check all fluids. Maybe to a radiator flush (always use distilled water)? Check your air cleaner and tire pressure. Visually inspect the tires. Fuel filter may need to be replaced (3 bolts).

Last edited by norbster86; 01-26-2010 at 06:37 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by norbster86
Eh, not huge on shops. But 5 something sounds like the going rate...

Plugs, wires cap and rotor are not hard and would take 45 min(?) while drinking a beer. Change the oil, check all fluids. Maybe to a radiator flush (always use distilled water)? Check your air cleaner and tire pressure. Visually inspect the tires. Fuel filter may need to be replaced (3 bolts).
3 bolts for fuel filter? Deff changing that! Who knows when it was changed.

The distributor was just changed a few months ago so thats good.

Oil being changed as well tires are good looking for a set of SI wheels will any year fit mine?

I dont drink =P, I was thinking about a radiator flush how complicated is that without a machine? (I used to work at a shop and always used the machine) also possible tranny flush what do you think?

Edit

Im not huge on shops either but live in a condo and I cant exactly work on my car that long in the parking lot I get in trouble so a few hours they would get upset and if I get it wrong then that could be bad for my motor

Old 01-26-2010, 06:44 AM
HCF Member

If the rims are 4 100MM bolt pattern you're good.

"while drinking a beer" is meant more as just puttin' around with your car.

I've always just bought the bottle of Prestone flush and did what the directions on it say. It you do a flush, get a bottle of water pump lube too. And I would do that after the timing belt has been changed (they will loose coolant changing the T-Belt).

Old 01-26-2010, 12:08 PM

Ok it is getting belt done now!!

So I want to say two things you guys are a lot nicer then I thought I was on another forum that was more American Muscle cars and I always heard horror stories about civic owners but you guys are great!!!

Also I saw this Im not big on turbos but it looks like a decent price haha so hmmmm yeah....

Whatcha think.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...569575615.html