New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

New to the forums !

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 10:04 AM
Default New to the forums !

I been visiting these forums for a while and just signed up ... Pretty interesting opinions on here.

A little about myself and my ride: My name is Chip and I live just north of Atlanta Georgia. I drive a Dark Green 1996 4dr Honda Civic Ex.

Some of the Performance mods I have done: First thing I did was purchase 17" Eagle GT Sport 6 spokes and wrapped em in some Khumo rubber, Eibach Sport Springs for the drop , Chikara Headers , AEM Cold Air Intake w/ K&N Filter, Front and rear Strut Tower Brace, HKS exhaust with Custom Pipe from the cat back.

Sound and Interior mods: Audiovox In-Dash 7" Screen DVD/CD/MP3 , Infinity Components for the doors and Infinity 6x9's in the back deck, 2 Bazooka 12subs in a massive box ,MTX 4-Channel for the highs, Bazooka 600watt sub amp.

My Delima: I just blew the Motor up lol.... It is in the shop as I am typing this but I wanted some input and opinions on to what I am having done.

1. I am having the motor rebuilt by a great machinest here locally , I dont have tooo much money to put into it ... BUT I did find a SOHC V-Tech Head to replace my NON V-Tech Head. I guess My question or inquiry would be ... Do any of you guru's think this will give me a lil more power?!?!?!

2. I plan on boosting the car early summer and will this be a good idea on this engine? Im not looking to have the fastest Civic around , But just something FUN to drive ... You think this would satisfy my needs for a peppy Civic?

If this thred needs to be moved please feel free , Im a noob here so feel free to put me in my place lol !

Thanks in advance guys , pics will be up as soon as I get the ride outta the shop !

Old 01-14-2006, 11:23 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: New to the forums !

1. Yes, you will see gains. Are you sure its an EX? THey cam with VTEC engines you know (D16Y8)

2. THe D series is like the donkey beater of the line. They can take a decent beating. Boosting it wont hurt it as long as its under 8-10 psi from what I have seen around here. I think you should go with a supercharger to be on the safer side since a turbo ends to be a little bit more rough.

Old 01-15-2006, 03:25 AM

hey dude!!! welcome to HCF. do you read honda tuning magazine? if you dont you should as they have been doing a non vtec to vtec swap on your motor for the last 5 issues. go to their web site and view past isues and you will learn everything you need to know. they got pretty impressive gains so it looks like you will be pretty satisfied with yours. www.hondatuningmagazine.com see ya.

Old 01-15-2006, 10:31 AM

Well , The head itself has no identifying marks saying its V-tech so therefore I assumed I had a non. Yes it is an EX 4dr 1996. Thanks for the link , I am about to go read it and learn some things! Glad to be apart of a great forum like this.

There are alot of locals here that tell me different things about what I should do next .... but I dont really trust them lol.

Old 01-15-2006, 11:51 AM
HCF Member

if its an EX then yes its already Vtec, but not all of them say it. but if its not, you might want to reconsider boosting it on a mini-me (vtec head on a non vtec block) because the head swap will bring the compression pretty high. if i were to boost a mini-me, i would not go over about 4 psi.

Old 01-15-2006, 12:20 PM

With 4 psi, will it even be worth the trouble or the money ?

Old 01-15-2006, 12:21 PM
HCF Member

welcome to the forum![sm=hiya.gif][sm=hiya.gif]

Old 01-15-2006, 12:37 PM
HCF Member

Welcome to the forum

Old 01-15-2006, 12:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Chip

With 4 psi, will it even be worth the trouble or the money ?
sure! im only going to boost at 6psi.