New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

New Honda based Kit Car

Old 09-13-2009, 03:50 PM
Question New Honda based Kit Car

Hello all....as you can see I'm new to the forum. Little about myself...in the late 90's we brought a car called the "Attack" to the US. This car we developed to be able to take a 90 to 93 Accord, transfer all the parts to the Attack frame, put on the body panels and have a nice car. Well that all changed when the decision was made to make the Attack a production car...no more kits so no more Honda parts.

Well we are getting ready to introduce a new car using the same type of one off donor vehicle.
To make a long story short we made a lot of mistakes in the planning, such as the f 22 motors not being very desirable. We were able to modify the chassis so an H22 would work and that helped the horsepower lovers.

So here's my questions cause some of you guys are the most knowledgeable about Civics. We are considering using the most popular of the Hondas out there. Convince me why we should use a Civic as the donor vehicle.

There are things you need to consider in your answer like
1) we need to use as much of the car as possible complete front cradle, suspension tranny harness ect. (we just unbolt from the front and move to mid-engine in the new car) We even use the shifter and pedals.
2) The years used must be of the same generation, like the 90 to 93 accord. Honda had a thing for changing up some stuff a little each year.
3) Since the body/chassis is not used we need to use an affordable used or wrecked vehicle.
4) Donor car or parts need to be affordable to the potential builder.

Thanks for the help

Alan

Last edited by reaper2022; 12-16-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:03 AM

You would want to make the kit for a 92-95 or 96-00 Civic. Most of those had D series engines which are some of the most popular Civic engines. They're small block I4 engines though. Seems like your previous kit cars used big block I4s from Accords.

Parts are readily available for those years, either through online classifieds, pull apart junk yards, or aftermarket new parts. But if your kit includes pulling front end body parts like bumper, hood, fenders, etc off... that might be problematic. Most Hondas are killed in front end collisions. You have to buy new front end parts. If you have a Certifit local, it's cheap. If not, it gets expensive.

And your link to your old forum doesn't work.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:33 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Link removed (please don't link to other forums as it's against the rules)

and brad, if it's anything like the Attack, it won't use the factory body panels. Anyway, back on topic:

Either an EG (92-95 civic) or EK (96-00) would be your best bet; they're two of the most popular chassis among civic enthusiasts. They have no changes in the engine, transmission, suspension, etc within those two generations; the only changes were small interior/exterior ones. Not to mention it's easy to find a running EG/EK fairly cheap.