New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

New member needing help

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 10:24 AM
HCF Member
Default New member needing help

I have a 1999 Honda Civic HX that I bought new. The color is Vogue Silver Met. I have made no modifications to the car . I have read allot of the information that has been posted and I don't know where to start. I want the car to have clean lines and not allot of frilly stuff that does not add to the overall appearance. I am several years past my twenties and do not need to impress .
Some of the ideas that I have come up with are:

First big project clean up the car (detailing wise) interior is in good shape (need a new floor mat for the drivers side) is it possible to get OEM, engine compartment is fairly clean but needs work, and the exterior paint is pretty good but has a few dings.

CAI intake (probably Injen) because they seem to be the only ones that make a CAI for the HX. I like the idea behind CAI but has anyone had any problems? Plus Injen direction state that the bumper needs to be removed.

Complete exhaust system (I like the EX exhaust conversion)

Grill (I would like to replace both the upper and lower and maybe the plugs for the fog lights)

Headlights needs to be defogged (thanks for the instructions). I might want to change in the future but not sure.

Wheels & Tires (not sure what kind) any recommendations. I don't want to have to mess with the speedometer if possible.

Suspension (not sure)

Any recommendations would be appreciated since I am a newbie especially any vendors.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by roadliner; 09-01-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:47 AM
Banned

First get some pictures up. Then we will be able to help out alot more.

Welcome by the way.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:27 AM
HCF Member

sounds like the exact same car i got. is this the CVT or manual? post some pics up so we can see what you are working with. also for the CAI you can looking into ones that are for the EX since the ones from EX can bolt up to our D16Y5 (HX). do you have the stock HX rims on your civic? they are highly sought after, so you should keep them and paint them if you want, and they are light weight. BTW Welcome to HCF

Old 09-01-2009, 12:38 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by sfazngiants
sounds like the exact same car i got. is this the CVT or manual? post some pics up so we can see what you are working with. also for the CAI you can looking into ones that are for the EX since the ones from EX can bolt up to our D16Y5 (HX). do you have the stock HX rims on your civic? they are highly sought after, so you should keep them and paint them if you want, and they are light weight. BTW Welcome to HCF
I have the manual transmission. I contacted AEM and they did not recommend going with the EX version of their CAI. I thought it would work. Yes, I have the stock HX rims. Thank you for the responses so far. How would I go about painting the rims? I have done some mechanical mods in the past but .....

I will post some pictures after I do some cleaning . I have been modifying a couple of motorcycles and have let the car go pretty much. It has been my daily driver so it needs some TLC.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:04 PM
Banned

Read this. Just don't be lazy and paint your rims the wrong way.

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...t=77947&page=2

Read Reaper's DIY

Old 09-01-2009, 04:16 PM
HCF Member

Thank you for the instructions on how to paint your wheels. Now I'm not sure if I want to change the color or keep them stock.

What is everyone doing about the trim, wipers and other parts were the paint is coming off? I was thinking to just take the wipers off and paint them black again but I'm not sure about the trim. Any suggestions?

Old 09-01-2009, 05:21 PM
HCF Member

your trim pieces are black right? i would prefer them to be color matched but i am too lazy to paint mines right now, so leaving them as is right now.

check this site out to see if you want to paint them or not. also you dont have to paint them, you can get aftermarket wheels if you want and you can sell the hx wheels or keep them if you like

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1252875

Old 09-02-2009, 01:16 AM
HCF Member

hey welcome!!!

when i got mine i tried to build it from the ground up...
suspension then wheels and work your way up..

Old 09-02-2009, 02:30 AM
HCF Member

What is the best place to go and get the paint for the rims, window trim and such? I am assuming you don't just want to use spray paint from Walmart.

What is a good place to go to find the shop manual for our cars? I figure with some of the work that I will be doing I will need some instructions.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:24 AM
HCF Member

i use spray paint from walmart rustoleum
and you should just buy some new wheels and sell those hx's to me
and search for RonJ (username) he has the service manuals in his signature

Quick Reply: New member needing help