New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

New member from ohio with a civic issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 01:22 PM
Default New member from ohio with a civic issue

Hello.
Recently bought a 2009 Civic LX for my wife.
Before we picked the car up, the dealer installed a Honda remote start.
Unlike our other vehicles remote start, this one disables the keyless entry for the door locks.
Soooo, if you want to open the door to get in with the remote start running,
you would have to use the key in the door, thus shutting off the engine.
Make any sense?
Dealers service manager didn't have any answers for my wife, so thought I'd start here.
Thank YOU

Old 08-07-2009, 03:55 PM
Administrator - Formerly 90Civtegra

That is a programming issue with the factory remote start. No way of changing it.

Only two options I know of to avoid this is two install an aftermarket keyless entry so you can operate the locks with engine running or remove the factory remote start and have an aftermarket remote smart with keyless entry installed which would still operate the locks. I have installed a few of these on this body style civic and it works well AS LONG AS the factory alarm disarm wire is hooked up otherwise when you unlock the doors when the engine is running or try to remote start the engine. This wire only disarms the factory remote start temporarily while either the engine starts or while the locks operates. (This is at least true with Directed Electronics systems, I am unfamiliar with other systems)

Old 08-09-2009, 05:49 AM

Thanks for the reply. The sales deptment is giving us the , we didn't know, and we can't return electrical parts saga.....................
I called the local aftermarket remote start installers and they priced one installed at 269. Which is about 1/2 what we paid to have this factory one installed. And it will work like it should.
Since I work at a dealer(not cars) I'm sure they could take the thing off and refund our money. But I hate to ruin our new relationship with the honda dealer by making a big deal out of it.
I would expect as much from the Ford dealer where we bought our 04 Explorer.